Dell Shows Off Its Eee PC Rival

kdawson posted more than 6 years ago | from the crowded-field dept.

Portables 250

Tom Moreland tips us to photos of Dell's answer to the Eee PC on the Direct2Dell site. Dell posted these after an attendee at the D conference spotted Michael Dell carrying one. The company hasn't released any details, so you can take these with a grain of salt — from a commenter to Dell's post: "Here are the specs for the Dell Mini Inspiron: Atom 1.6 GHz, 3 USB ports, Ethernet, Card reader, Kensington lock, Adapter socket, Mic/line-out, VGA port, screen resolution at 1280×800. Scheduled to be released before the end of June 2008. It costs less than $500."

first post! (1, Insightful)

pak9rabid (1011935) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600533)

Good to see some competition in this market, but I'll pick Asus over Dell any day.

Re:first post! (1, Insightful)

Uh, based on what? Blind prejudice?

Re:first post! (1, Insightful)

alx5000 (896642) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601661)

Why not? I'm certain it's just as good a method as any.

spec creep (5, Insightful)

samuisan (142967) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600671)

Notice how there is already some creep in specs and price, none of the ones anounced since the first eeepc (including the new 9" version) is lighter or cheaper and most of them seem to be quite a bit more.

Instead I would like to see them stick at 300 euros and just gradually improve the spec.

Dell Defying M$ Again? (5, Interesting)

westbake (1275576) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600997)

Some of these specs, like the 1280x800 resolution screen look beyond the M$ limits for such devices [slashdot.org] . Good for Dell, they know what the market really looks like [slashdot.org] .

Re:Dell Defying M$ Again? (1)

Paul Carver (4555) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601383)

What's an M$ limit? Your link doesn't work. I couldn't possibly accept any resolution less than the 1280x768 on my Lifebook P2120. I'm considering a T2010 which has 1280x800 but it's edging up pretty close to $2000.

I'm toying with the idea of 4G RAM and a spare battery and charger which pushes it over the $2000 mark, but the advantages of a small 9 hour battery plus a larger 11 hour battery plus an external battery charger is very attractive. I would love it if I could make it through the weekend with just two batteries and no power cord/brick.

A $500 laptop that's small enough to use while walking around would be great, but not if it sacrifices battery life or has a tiny resolution (anything under 1280x768 is tiny.)

Re:Dell Defying M$ Again? (0)

the M$ limit refers to a sspec limit put out by microsoft to cover these type of machines and let the manufacturer continue to load XP on them.

Re:Dell Defying M$ Again? (0)

Well then, you're clearly not in the target market for these devices. Your needs are different than the needs met by these, so go buy your $2000 desktop replacement and quit griping.

Re:Dell Defying M$ Again? (1)

Paul Carver (4555) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601813)

Seriously? What are you calling a desktop replacement, the P2120 or the T2010? Because I've lost track of all the times complete strangers have looked at my P2120 and said "what is that?" or "is that a computer?".

The T2010 is a bit larger and I do wonder if it's physically bigger than I want. But I think calling the P2120 a desktop replacement bends reality all out of shape.

Re:spec creep (2, Insightful)

Ken_g6 (775014) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601087)

$500 US is about 325 Euro, so it's not much over if at all. And if they stick with that USD figure, it's getting cheaper for you by the day!

Re:first post! (0)

linhares (1241614) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601039)

you must be new here

Re:first post! (0)

pak9rabid (1011935) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601791)

Please explain to me how a first post is redundant?

Dimensions (4, Interesting)

LotsOfPhil (982823) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600567)

Given that this is being compared to the EEE, physical dimensions are important. Guessing based on the pencil in the pictures, this looks like it is maybe 8" x 5" (20 cm x 12 cm).

Re:Dimensions (5, Funny)

metamechanical (545566) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600657)

You'd think so, but that's actually one of those comically large pencils, putting it at about the size of your entire desk.

But which OS will it use? (4, Insightful)

nickos (91443) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600605)

The most interesting question to me is which OS Dell will choose to install on it. Hopefully it will be a Linux distro...

Re:But which OS will it use? (5, Informative)

RandoX (828285) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600765)

XP home or Ubuntu, according to Engadget [engadget.com] .

Re:But which OS will it use? (2, Interesting)

Zoole (1276372) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600823)

What with them already offering it on some systems, I'm betting on Ubuntu. Purely out of curiosity, I wonder if they're planning on doing something with the UMPC version of Ubuntu that Canonical is supposedly working on...

Re:But which OS will it use? (1)

pembo13 (770295) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601095)

Why is this modded as flaimbait?

Re:But which OS will it use? (5, Funny)

Facetious (710885) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601509)

When I see screwy modding like this, I view it as evidence of my theory that some AI experiment at MIT or possible DoD has gone awry and that some program has actually managed to register a /. account. It is not yet advanced enough to know the nuances of human languages (especially English), so it moderates (when given mod points) as best it can.

Ooh! Ooh! I just came up with a corollary. The meta-mod system was developed by CmdrTaco to aid in training said AI program. It's a conspiracy!

Re:But which OS will it use? (1)

clampolo (1159617) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601471)

Anyone know if Dell gives you a real Ubuntu installation, or do they load up the desktop with a bunch of ad programs?

500 bucks? are they insane? (3, Interesting)

poetmatt (793785) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600613)

There are models for 300 bucks and they think that they will sell well at $500?

It may have some potential. Having a good cheap system to surf with is definitely a good idea. But for $500 you can get a regular fully functional laptop in many instances.

Dell's going to be competing with their own price points no matter where they put this product in the spectrum from 3-500$ they'll be cannibalizing their own market.

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (3, Interesting)

Corporate Troll (537873) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600723)

Well considering that "small-size" used to be a high-priced premium, I think that a small but cheap laptop is probably the better choice for the mobile individual. The 300$ models you speak of are usually 15.4" models and those aren't exactly small or lightweight.

It's a new, different market (5, Insightful)

feranick (858651) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601067)

Portability. It's the same argument that people made back in the days when laptops were not ubiquitous. You can get a cheaper more powerful desktop, so why do you want to buy a laptop? Same here, scaled to new ultraportable devices.

The ASUS eeePC is currently selling like hotcakes, and the price range is currently in the neighborhood of 400-500$. Your argument has been around for quite a while ("I can get a full featured laptop for the same money"). The problem is this laptop isn't a regular laptop, but a new category of devices. Something you can carry easily, light, and robust. Dell isn't foolish, after the success of the eeePC, the HP mini-note and new devices coming from MSI, they want to make sure of their presence in that growing market.

So yes, you can get something bigger for similar money. But you get a all different device. Exactly like the MacBook Air (why spending so much for something slower than a regular Mackbook?) these are new devices, for people who value portability over added features.

In addition, if these devices run Linux natively (as they pretty much all do, in addition to WinXP), you get a modern fast OS, without you having to do anything to it, it simply work out of the box. In fact some people say that the Linux version are for those unexperienced, considering how easy they are to maintain.... Can you say the same about the crap-loaded $500 cheap "conventional" laptops?

Re:It's a new, different market (1)

y86 (111726) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601727)

I Concur, I just bought a 20g for $550 because it's small and BADASS. I'm replacing my cellphone with it and data card + vonage IP phone. Why both with a smell phone anymore?

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

lupis42 (1048492) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601165)

The three biggest complaints leveled at the EEEPC were undersized screen, inadequate storage, and undersized keyboard. The first two of those things can only be fixed by adding $. Go figure. Personally, the MSI Wind is likely to be what my wife gets in a week. She really needs something that can fit in a large purse or small backpack, isn't that fragile, and doesn't weigh much. She doesn't need (or even really want) an optical drive, or a big hard drive, or a good video card, or a ton of storage. If it can run linux, will let her get on the intarwebz to do browsing and email, and some document creation, and maybe play some Diablo, she's all set.

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

papna (1242200) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601491)

It's a somewhat viscous cycle. Not only is a bigger screen more expensive, it draws more current than a small screen. This necessitates heavier and/or more expensive batteries. The storage is very small, and it's mainly a money issue to fix that. There's no obvious way to make the keyboard bigger without defeating the whole purpose a little bit: a small, light, rugged machine. But for my own two cents, I have an Eee PC and I haven't found the keyboard to be a real problem, even though I have large hands.

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

diamondsw (685967) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601181)

Yes, models for $300 - with 2GB of storage, a 7-inch 800x480 screen, and an underclocked chip running at 630Mhz. $500 is perfectly reasonable as Eee 900 and HP 2133 sales have shown.

Please stop with the stupid and uninformed comparisons to the Eee 2G Surf...

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

sbulut77 (610940) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601257)

I agree. They have to do better than that. They need to price it sub $300, I think.

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (2, Funny)

Mister Whirly (964219) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601351)

They already have models [wikipedia.org] available for well under $300. Features are kind of limited though (but the spell checker kicks ass!)

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

UnknowingFool (672806) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601611)

If all you are looking at is price, then, yes $500 is too expensive. If you are looking at form factor/price/capabilities, the extra $200 maybe worth it for some people to have a smaller form factor. The MacBook Air starts at $1200, and some people buy it because they think the form factor/price/capabilities is worth it. But of course for some people, for $1200 they better be able to compete with a Cray even though it is the size of a small apartment. Those people are not who this product is targeted to. :P

Re:500 bucks? are they insane? (1)

poetmatt (793785) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601771)

I agree completely that it's a different capability.

However, as they are a company with sub 500$ laptops, they will be competing with themselves on some levels as mentioned :)

Of course, that really means that the laptops they offer are unreasonably priced.

Great companies don't worry about cannibalization (4, Interesting)

dpbsmith (263124) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601767)

Digital released the Microvax II which had, if memory serves me, virtually the same performance as a full-sized VAX at about a third or a quarter of the price. More to the point, it was significantly better than the VAX-11/750, better as in double the performance, for about half the price. Killed all the older lines dead, instantly.

Wang released the Wang 1200 WPS, its CRT-based word processing system, at a time when their previous non-CRT-based offering was still selling well. Killed the older line dead, instantly.

Apple released the iPod Nano about eighteen months after the introduction of the iPod Mini line, and barely six months after a major refresh of the iPod Mini line, killing the minis dead instantly.

(And, for the record, the Digital and Wang examples occurred during the upward trajectories of those companies and were major, major successes for them).

Companies don't have to put the customers' interests ahead of their own, but they need to put a high priority on it. Companies that concentrate too much on what's good for them instead of what's good for their customers... rationalizing product lines, avoiding cannibalization, holding back new features, and generally not producing the best products they know how to produce (e.g. IBM foot-dragging on the 80386) get in trouble. Their locked-in customers may go along for a while, but customers aren't stupid and they'll be steaming about it, and delighted to give the company its comeuppance.

Nice resolution! (1)

Corporate Troll (537873) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600629)

With that resolution it really looks like a solid competitor to the Asus EEE PC. I'm still waiting for my Asus EEE PC 701 4G to arrive :-( The only thing I'm really worried about is that the screen might really be too small. That said, my first laptop had a 640x480 colour TFT screen and that worked well. Of course software has changed a bit.

Re:Nice resolution! (2, Informative)

papna (1242200) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600879)

I have a 4G Eee PC and I love it. The only real problem is the screen size and resolution, which makes it much less useful for real work. I personally have no problem with the keyboard, and I have pretty big hands and I've found that it has enough power to do everything I've been trying to do on it. I expected the installations of the software Asus provides to be more customised for the Eee PC. They did a lot to make the interface work well for the small screen, but there are times that customisation just is not there. Some settings pages will not fit in the space provided and some apps even needed resizing. (Skype is one that never wanted to cooperate, but there's really nothing ASUS can do about that.) Overall, I've been really satisfied.

Pixel pitch is too small for me (0)

growse (928427) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600631)

I don't know about anyone else, but 1280x800 on a screen that small is going to be practically unreadable for my eyes, and I'm not exactly old. At some point, things can get a bit *too* small...

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

Slashdot Suxxors (1207082) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600677)

So change the resolution?

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (0)

growse (928427) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600771)

Great, so I'm paying for something I'm not going to use?

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

Slashdot Suxxors (1207082) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600913)

You're not going to use the monitor?

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

growse (928427) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601145)

My point was: why pay for a 1280x800 monitor when you're only going to use it at 1024x600? The replys below indicate that increasing the dpi of the fonts should be able to make the font physically large enough, whilst making use of the high resolution, which I accept.

I was thinking back to when I used HP's UMPC 2133 which has a similar resolution (iirc). It was running vista, and no matter how much I tweaked it, it was practically unreadable.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (0)

Larger resolution = sharper.

This is something that really needs attention from OS developers. Resolution must be independent of interface size.

There's no reason (except outdated os/apps) that we shouldn't have super-high resolution screens with the same size UI that we have now. (This is one of many features that was supposed to be in Vista. AFAIK, the linux dev community has also failed to make it a priority.)

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (0, Troll)

10Ghz (453478) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601035)

OMG, I have an USB-port on this computer that I'm not currently using! Oh why do they force me to pay for stuff that I don't use?

Just suck it up. If you think that the features and the price are acceptable, then buy it (even if you plan to use a lower resolution). If not, then don't. No-one is forcing you to pay for features you don't need, since you always have the choice of not buying anything.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (2, Informative)

Hal_Porter (817932) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601503)

Except that LCDs look blurry if you run them at non native resolution, whereas an unused USB port is no problem.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (0)

10Ghz (453478) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601753)

They used to look blurry but these days it's hardly a problem. Unless you plan on running 1600x1200 screen at 640x480 or something. You can easily drop the resolution by a step or two.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (3, Insightful)

somersault (912633) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600705)

You can just increase the font size then, or set the resolution lower - it's definitely better to have too high a resolution than too small! And if this thing is going to be used with Windows, 800 is much better for being able to get to the buttons at the bottom of large dialogs and such.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

diamondsw (685967) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601221)

Or Linux - just try using a lot of the standard Gnome control panels with less than 800 vertical pixels. Login Properties and Compiz Config, I'm looking squarely at you.

Re:Vector Fonts (3, Informative)

TheMeuge (645043) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600711)

It's a good thing that most Linux distributions use Vector fonts, and allow you to set the screen resolution in dpi.

Actually, such a high resolution on such a small screen means super-smooth fonts, and easy readability... which thus far could only be obtained on high-resolution laptops (1650x1080 on 15" and 1920x1200 on 17").

Considering that the cheap Inspirons have 1280x800 on a 15" screen, just imagine the improvement.

Re:Vector Fonts (1)

Your Pal Dave (33229) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600983)

Yes and no. I have an aging Omnibook with gorgeous 1400x1040 15" screen. Most desktop apps work fine with the DPI set correctly (No thanks to GDM trying to set 96 DPI regardless of what XF86Config/xorg.conf says (And don't get me started about Gnome deciding that I live in "Colourado" [gnome.org] (but I digress)))

Unfortunately, most web pages are so badly designed as to be almost unreadable at high res, and if you increase the font size the formatting goes to hell. Opera does a pretty good job at handling this, and Firefox 3 looks promising. That still leaves the unreadable Flash apps, but most of those are a wast of time anyway.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (2, Insightful)

DragonWriter (970822) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600739)

If increasing resolution on the monitor makes things less readable, you've got an operating system (or, at least, window manager/display subsystem/etc.) that really sucks (worse than Windows), or you aren't using it properly.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (4, Insightful)

Mprx (82435) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600749)

Then increase the text size. Higher resolution is always better, even on a small screen. With higher DPI we can abandon ugly hacks such as font hinting. I want a monitor with the resolution of paper. The poor interface scaling of Windows XP is holding back the market for high resolution monitors, but other OSs don't have this problem.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (2, Insightful)

idlemind (760102) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601321)

I am thinking the web is actually the limiting factor to adoption of high resolution screens. How many websites can scale to arbitrary dpi and look the same at each level? This is not just a windows problem.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (2, Insightful)

The_Wilschon (782534) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601733)

Sounds like a problem that should be solved by the rendering engine devs, not by the web designer. Perhaps someone who knows more than I do will say that this is not the case, but until then I'll stick with my intuition.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

Cyberax (705495) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600799)

Use larger fonts.

1280x1024 is about 200 dpi which produces incredibly good and easy-to-read fonts.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

thue (121682) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600807)

Modern operating systems (Vista, MacOS X, Linux?) use vector graphics, which means that you can never have a too high resolution, as everything can be scaled to fit.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

LWATCDR (28044) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600809)

ummm... Us a bigger font?
A bigger font at high resolution looks better and is easier to read than a small font on a lower resolution screen.
So just pick a font that would be the same size as it would be on a lower resolution screen.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (4, Interesting)

dgatwood (11270) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601173)

I disagree. Most modern web pages need at least 1024 pixels wide. You can always make things bigger if a certain app hurts your eyes, but you can never get back resolution that the panel doesn't have. Thus, it is always better to go with a higher resolution than a lower one.

I'm really surprised, however, that nobody has criticized the fact that all these machines use legacy VGA. I mean, is it really too much to ask for them to use DVI? It already costs more money to buy a panel that still supports VGA even today. VGA is on its way out and the only computers I see that still use it are cheap PC laptops. Why!?! Why would anyone build a computer with only analog video output these days? It's not like it is that much more expensive to provide DVI, and I consider any machine that doesn't do so to be very non-future-proof, i.e. a dubious proposition.

These days, the only thing keeping me from buying any of the ultra-mobile machines is the lack of DVI in any machine with a small enough footprint to safely use on an airplane tray table. Netcraft confirmed VGA was dying five years ago. At this point, the only thing left to do is go through its pockets and look for loose change....

VGA Output (2, Informative)

{Hecubus} (62076) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601699)

There are a lot of LCD projectors out there in classrooms, lecture halls, and meeting spaces that have only been wired for VGA.

You could always use DVI -> LCD converter I suppose...

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

Vertigo Acid (1164963) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601701)

Especially given that most DVI ports still have analog capabilities in addition to digital. On these, you're always just a simple mechanical adapter away from VGA.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

Penguinisto (415985) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601809)

Because the vast majority of business projectors use VGA as its source input. Not too many (yet) take DVI. DVI connectors are also larger, and (IMHO) look a bit more fragile pin-wise for constant on-the-road use.

/P

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

lupis42 (1048492) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601199)

Have you considered increasing the font size? I find the extra resolution to be essential for things like preferences windows and dialog boxes, which are rarely scrollable/resizable and often taller than even 600 pixels, much less 480.

Re:Pixel pitch is too small for me (1)

MaWeiTao (908546) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601663)

The problem isn't the resolution at all. The problem is that these devices are running OS's intended for 15" or larger displays. Interface designers and developers build these systems with the intention of trying to cram as much information on the screen as possible.

So far I see no real solution to this issue. Even developers of Smartphones and mobile phones in general do a bad job economizing content.

I don't doubt that someone will eventually come along with a good solution, but I don't think it will happen for a while, and solutions for web browsing are a longer way off if we ever even see any.

breeding like tribbles... (4, Funny)

Fallen Andy (795676) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600645)

(maybe) another one from Acer .See here [umpcportal.com]

Andy

Pixels are tiny (1)

kcelery (410487) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600689)

Any company producing magnifying glass for these mini-laptop? I mean there are so many eye-sore out there to make them rich.

Yeah, but... (4, Funny)

RandoX (828285) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600721)

Does it run Vista?

Re:Yeah, but... (1)

kcelery (410487) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600791)

It crawls or walks, hardly runs.

Keyboard, good and bad (4, Insightful)

Palal (836081) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600779)

Yes, the keyboard seems to be pretty darn big. However, as always they managed to screw up key placement. Apostrophe is not in its regular place, shift is waaaay over to the right of the up arrow. What are these people smoking? Make the [ENTER] key smaller and put apostrophe where it belongs. Instead of where the apostrophe is now, put the slashdot keys there (/ and/or .), and put shift in their place. Why do all these laptop manufacturers need to be individualistic with keyboard design? It's not like keyboards have feelings. Users do, though. :)

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (1)

Deliveranc3 (629997) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600849)

Qwerty is hostile and mocks your inefficiency...

Dvorak hates newbies and people who look at the keyboard, it's also an efficiency supremacist.

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (3, Funny)

Bloke down the pub (861787) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601551)

... and AZERTY is French, so it can just fuck off.

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (3, Funny)

jcgf (688310) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601775)

Not to mention it also makes wild predictions that don't turn out, is an apple hater, and wishes it were as cool as Leo Laporte.

;)

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (2, Insightful)

SeePage87 (923251) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601025)

For that matter they could have removed the caps lock key entirely since there's no reason to have it. You could argue data entry, but not on a sub-notebook.

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (2, Funny)

thrice rocks! (619873) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601341)

But then my grandmother would have to work to write every single email in all caps!

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (1)

Ashbory (781835) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601325)

Where are the function keys??? There is enough space for them. Page up/down seem to be missing too. At least they didn't forget that all important windows key.

Re:Keyboard, good and bad (1)

chrismcdirty (677039) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601381)

They also seem to have omitted the Function keys, which will suck if you want to drop to the console from Ubuntu or go to a different X instance, among other things that use F-keys.

Love that red shell (2, Insightful)

elrous0 (869638) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600867)

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a lot better than 99% of Dell's plain-jane (any color, as long as it's black and grey) standard models? Forget developing countries, I want one HERE.

Re:Love that red shell (1)

KillerBob (217953) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601295)

You do know you can buy a red Inspiron or XPS laptop? They even have them in pink. :)

Yes, you can't get the ultra-portable mini yet, but you can get them in 14", and the XPS at 13". :)

Perfect. (2, Insightful)

HerculesMO (693085) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600953)

This is exactly what I would want to give to my mother, because all she does is go on YouTube to find oldies music videos, and surf the internet and play casual card games.

Yes, the Asus runs Linux, but it doesn't run her casual games. I still require Windows. It's not that bad anyway -- I'll set it up properly and lock her out of admin, and she can't screw it up that badly. And it's cute.

Forget Dell (0, Flamebait)

Gewalt (1200451) | more than 6 years ago | (#23600981)

Forget Dell, damnit, I want an Apple version of the EEE. Comeon apple, theres clearly demand, you can do it too (and yes, you can even make a profit doing it, don't give me that "margins" line.)

Re:Forget Dell (1)

trybywrench (584843) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601201)

I want an Apple version of the EEE.

I agree, Apple's industrial design team could nail this.

Re:Forget Dell (1)

ubuwalker31 (1009137) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601339)

They already tried it with their slim notebook...but they forgot that slim != small

Re:Forget Dell (1)

UnknowingFool (672806) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601723)

I think Apple decided to go a different direction in this market. They think that customers would prefer thin and light over small and light. The market will decide if they are right or wrong.

Re:Forget Dell (1)

Gewalt (1200451) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601801)

I know I'm not exactly "the market" but I already decided. I want smaller and cheaper, not thinner and more expensive. I don't see any reason why Apple can't go in both directions here.

Rebranded MSI Wind? (4, Insightful)

Darth Muffin (781947) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601049)

It looks suspiciously like a rebranded MSI Wind (http://msiwind.net/) subnotebook to me. All of the specs are EXACTLY the same. The MSI wind is even available in red...

Is the keyboard usable? (2, Insightful)

MikeRT (947531) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601063)

I used to think the Eee PC was a great idea until I actually tried to type on a 7" model at Best Buy.

Absolutely horrendous keyboard! Too small and cramped for me to be able to stand there and type out a few sentences at normal speed.

For me, the best portable I've seen is the old 12" PowerBook G4. It was light and small, but had a fully usable keyboard.

Re:Is the keyboard usable? (3, Informative)

TheDarkener (198348) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601433)

Not sure how big your hands are, but mine are pretty big, and I've had a 7" EEE since they came out - I absolutely LOVE the keyboard for how small it is. I haven't had a problem typing ~60WPM on it (I normally type ~65WPM). You don't want to type for hours on it, but nobody would want to do that on *any* subnotebook.

Re:Is the keyboard usable? (0)

Still hanging to my 12" iBook, waiting for apple to release something smaller than the MacBook. Smaller as in smaller, not thinner.

I expect it's going to be a while, though, so I guess it's gonna be an EeePC or something. Back to Linux :-)

Re:Is the keyboard usable? (0)

Agreed. The PB 12" was great for its time. Very robust - the build quality was exceptional. It was however too heavy and much too thick, and the LCD wasn't much. Well now we have the MB Air, so that's moot anyway. It's just a small matter of cost... I love Macs but they are way too expensive.

Ubuntu (5, Interesting)

Trenchbroom (1080559) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601159)

Well this explains why Mark Shuttleworth has confirmed that Ubuntu is coming out with a version for UMPCs. Dell needs a linux distro to compete on the low end against Asus and the rest.

Re:Ubuntu (1, Informative)

Previous discussion [slashdot.org]

Yawn ... (0)

Dell Vostro laptop: Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+, 1 GB memory, 80 GB harddrive, 15.4 inch screen, standard ports*

$399, available today through Dell Small Business.

So, what's the point of this computer again ... ?

*Does an ethernet port really count as a remarkable feature now days? Nobody mentions "Keyboard has all 26 letter keys!"

Re:Yawn ... (1)

Hal_Porter (817932) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601573)

$399, available today through Dell Small Business.
Is it me or is it oddly fitting that the SemPRON is being used in cheap internet access PCs?

Re:Yawn ... (1)

Bloke down the pub (861787) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601669)

Size, or rather lack of it, you grade A1 numbskull.

Re:Yawn ... (1)

10Ghz (453478) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601829)

So, what's the point of this computer again ... ?
Um, the fact that it's tiny and light, whereas the generic 15.4" laptop you mention is not? Computer like this is something I could taking with me just about everywhere I go, whereas a 15.4" laptop is practically a desktop-replacement.

FINALLY! an UMPC with = 1024 x 768 screen (1)

lkcl (517947) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601385)

i don't know if you've ever tried using firefox on 1024x600 but it's awful.

fully 2/5ths of the screen is taken up with impossible-to-remove toolbars, and, on these tiny screens, you are left with 2 inches of readable space in which to view the web page.

the minimum useable screen resolution is 1024 x 768 - yes those extra 168 pixels make a massive difference - and so i am deeply impressed to hear that dell have got it right, by providing a 1200 x 800 screen.

you can always increase the font size on an 8in screen of that resolution, so that people who are blind can read it: you can't go down in font size if the resolution isn't there....

Re:FINALLY! an UMPC with = 1024 x 768 screen (2, Informative)

Koiu Lpoi (632570) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601705)

F11.

butterfly keyboards (2, Insightful)

These tiny machines really need a fold-out butterfly keyboard [wikipedia.org] as once appeared on an old ThinkPad model. I tried typing on an Eee PC recently and found it nigh on impossible, especially at the command prompt.

Obligatory (0, Redundant)

RareButSeriousSideEf (968810) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601569)

Imagine a Beowulf cluster of these!

but can it... (3, Interesting)

CaptainNerdCave (982411) | more than 6 years ago | (#23601615)

first off, i do own an eeepc with a 4gb hdd and no camera

can this new dell fit in my jacket pocket? by far, the most excellent thing about the eee pc is that it is so incredibly portable without making significant sacrifices. furthermore, with 4gb of space, there are many choices for an os.

my hands aren't small, but i can manage to touch-type reasonably well on it. frankly, i don't think anyone should be alloted any credence when complaining about the keyboard size on such a small system. it's much like griping about the lack of luggage-space on a motorcycle. if your major complaints are about the keyboard, you must not be the target market.

my only complaints are about the cpu, which seems to be underclocked to 630mhz, and the difficulty in booting from an sd card (i'm sure i'll figure it out).

Idaho Marijuana Law Tests Corrupt City Council (-1, Offtopic)

corrupt city council members should be fired! When your local city council votes for a wage increase, do not allow it! these pieces of shit who are by and large knuckle heads who accept bribes do not deserve any increases!

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7614 [norml.org]

May 29, 2008 - Hailey, ID, United States of America

Hailey: For the second time in seven months, Hailey voters approved a trio of municipal ballot measures liberalizing local marijuana law enforcement policies.

On Tuesday, voters endorsed language legalizing the use of medical cannabis and hemp, and calling on local police to make marijuana law enforcement its lowest priority.

Voters had previously approved all three ballot measures in November, but city council members sued in January to have the measures declared illegal.

The council"s lawsuit remains pending.

"In the coming weeks and months, we will learn whether the long-held democratic notion of a government "by the people for the people" applies in Idaho or whether lawmakers are willing to cast democracy aside in order to bow at the altar of pot prohibition," NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said.

We the people still exists, right? Fuck corrupt local city council members who do not represent us, they should be fired at the very least.

"Regulators, saddle up!" - Young Guns, The movie

In other news:

"A Palm Beach Gardens man and his mother, a middle school science teacher, are permanently barred from owning or possessing animals, a judge ruled Thursday after watching a short film of the man having sex in his bedroom with a German shepherd. Palm Beach County Judge Frank Castor also ordered that the county be given custody of the woman's pets two German shepherds and two cats and ruled that she and her son, 18, jointly pay the county $1,848 in boarding costs and other fees. The man, who was 17 at the time of the recorded activity, did not appear in court. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is not identifying him because he was a juvenile at the time of the activity. His mother, whose residence is where the sexual activity occurred, teaches at a public school. She testified at Thursday's hearing, insisting repeatedly that she was unaware of her son's sexual acts with her male German shepherd. She said she found the behavior reprehensible and out of character for her son, whom she said is a recently graduated high school honors student. Thursday's hearing included graphic details of the man's sexual acts, including descriptions of the film that Palm Beach County sheriff's investigators found stored on his personal computer in his bedroom. Testimony was provided by a detective, county Animal Care and Control officials, including a chief veterinarian, and an expert animal trainer who said the videotape indicates the dog showed signs of submission and pain.The woman urged the judge not to take away her dogs, and said not allowing her to have future pets "is punishing the mother for the sins of a son." She told the judge, "I have not done anything wrong or have hurt these animals in any way. I was mortified to find this was going on." The county intends to put the animals up for adoption."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-529bestiality,0,6273499.story [sun-sentinel.com]