Second Netbook Wave Begins

kdawson posted more than 5 years ago | from the first-blood-to-asus dept.

Intel 318

nerdyH writes "Asus is taking pre-orders for a netbook based on Intel's second-generation platform, the secret-shrouded N280/GN40 chipset. Early product specs confirm that the second wave of netbooks are likely to offer faster graphics and lower power use, along with room for much, much larger batteries. The N280 apparently integrates the northbridge and CPU, meaning that the GPU moves to 45nm process technology, the FSB gets replaced by an on-chip interconnect, and overall board real-estate drops to a third of what it was previously — hence the ability to stuff an 8,700mAh battery into a 3-lb. device. The right shift key is slightly bigger, too, though still no trackpoint pointer (guess I'll keep waiting)."

Second wave... (-1, Offtopic)

... first post!

No thanks. (5, Funny)

I'll wait for the Apple idea of a NetBook. It will change everything.

Re:No thanks. (5, Funny)

MrEricSir (398214) | more than 5 years ago | (#26702905)

Will it change diapers?

Re:No thanks. (4, Funny)

macraig (621737) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703535)

If you're old enough to ask that question and be dreaming of netbooks, I think you can change your own damned diapers, young man!

Re:No thanks. (-1, Troll)

Gender Orientation mostly.

Re:No thanks. (3, Funny)

Yes, it will be the first netbook with a wheel instead of a keyboard.

For those that missed it... Thevideo (2, Funny)

denzacar (181829) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703013)

Apple Wheel [youtube.com]

Re:For those that missed it... Thevideo (2, Insightful)

LingNoi (1066278) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703589)

I hate how people on youtube have the tell everyone it's a parody. So fucking annoying and ruins the comments.

Re:For those that missed it... Thevideo (5, Insightful)

Solution: don't read youtube comments, they rot your brain.

Re:For those that missed it... Thevideo (5, Funny)

moniker127 (1290002) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703841)

You say this in a slashdot comment?

Re:No thanks. (2, Funny)

Davemania (580154) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703103)

Yeah over priced netbook.

Re:No thanks. (4, Insightful)

bcrowell (177657) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703851)

Seriously. Asus kept promising low price, but what they kept delivering was higher performance. The article says, According to Asus, the PC 1000HE will be available "soon" for approximately $400. Following the pattern they've always followed, that means it will actually sell for $800. What would have been really revolutionary would have been a $100 laptop -- but OLPC screwed up, and Asus decided to head up instead of down. If Asus had actually followed through on their original plans to deliver these things at low prices, we'd be seeing the imminent death of Microsoft. As it is, there may be some downward price pressure on Windows, but not enough to make MS surrender a whole sector of the market and allow Linux to move beyond the 1% share of the desktop where it's been stagnating for years now.

Re:No thanks. (2, Interesting)

cheesybagel (670288) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703945)

One more die shrink and less batteries would lower the price considerably, I am sure. That could take less than a year.

Re:No thanks. (0)

But mostly it will change the price.

this is slashdot (0, Insightful)

You fail to impress with your paltry mAh, watt-hours is what we demand.

Re:this is slashdot (4, Funny)

Malevolyn (776946) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703579)

I demand newton meters to confuse the masses!

Re:this is slashdot (1)

moniker127 (1290002) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703869)

I measure my battery life in MEH - millions of electrons.

Re:this is slashdot (1)

moniker127 (1290002) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703883)

Thats not an E! Its a trap!

Trackpoint? (0)

If IBM doesn't make a trackpoint-based netbook, no one will.

Re:Trackpoint? (3, Informative)

ozmanjusri (601766) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703413)

If IBM doesn't make a trackpoint-based netbook, no one will.

IBM doesn't make consumer-level hardware any more.

They sold that part of the business to Lenovo long ago.

Re:Trackpoint? (2, Informative)

gEvil (beta) (945888) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703435)

If IBM doesn't make a trackpoint-based netbook, no one will.

Well, there is Sony's overpriced and underpowered Vaio P. [pocketables.net]

A bit too heavy IMHO... (5, Insightful)

JickL (1398643) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703029)

1.45 kg is just slightly too much in my opinion. I love my 701 weighing in at just over 900 grams, I'd prefer a model weighing 1.3 kg or less. But that's just me! Also why aren't we seeing huge batteries like these in the cheap 15-inch laptops that would really need them? This pretty much proves that it can't be the cost that's prohibitive.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (5, Insightful)

denzacar (181829) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703131)

Yeah... cause lugging around the extra weight equivalent of couple of Mars bars is more than anyone should be forced to endure.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (4, Interesting)

MichaelSmith (789609) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703273)

It all adds up. I can take my 701 to work on my bike. Carrying a load momentum is the real problem, not weight. For me the 701 belongs with my multimeter and GPS. Its an instrument, just not as specialised as the others.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (0)

You, your bike and your 701 probably have a mass of about 100kg. You really think you would notice the increased inertia and momentum at 100.5kg?

The weight on your shoulders if you use a rucksack maybe (use a pannier instead), but not the momentum.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (0)

anyone else read that as "nutsack"?

I think i'd notice an extra 1/2 kilo hanging off my balls!

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (2, Funny)

Hal_Porter (817932) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703959)

"This one time, at Gitmo..."

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (2, Informative)

szap (201293) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703371)

0.9 kg vs 1.45 kg. I don't know how many Mars bars that is, but that's over 60% increase in weight.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (2, Informative)

denzacar (181829) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703605)

And 1.3 kg vs. 1.45 kg is about 2-3 Mars bars, depending on which Mars bar we are talking about. [wikipedia.org]

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (2, Informative)

amRadioHed (463061) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703633)

Not .9kg, he said 1.45kg is too much and 1.3kg is ok. That's a difference of 150g which is three 50g mars bars or about than two and a half of the 58g size.

Yes, there are probably more important things to be discussing right now.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (4, Funny)

Firehed (942385) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703787)

Yes, there are probably more important things to be discussing right now.

Why yes- a measurement in either Snickers or Reese's Cups would be greatly appreciated.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1)

kimvette (919543) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703937)

I'm lost unless the unit of measurement is either Libraries of Congress or Volkswagons.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (0)

The difference between 0.9kg and 1.45kg is about nine and a half Mars bars.

I don't know about you, but I don't tend to carry a bag full of chocolates bars everywhere I go..

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1)

Arthur Grumbine (1086397) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703807)

Good job with the math. Now for some perspective:
Average adult male should be able to comfortably carry at least 15kg on their person while riding a bike (much more if just walking).
The extra 0.5kg for the larger screen, better performance, and close to double the battery life costs them about 3.3% of their load capacity. Less than an extra can of Rockstar would.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (5, Funny)

Hal_Porter (817932) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703985)

If netbooks continue to grow like this, in a mere ten generations they will weigh 158Kg. Clearly the government should intervene and legislate a maximum weight of 100kg.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1, Flamebait)

diamondsw (685967) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703617)

It's all a matter of perception, and once you get down to these weights, yes, you notice a couple ounces. One of them is 50% heavier than the other, does that help?

Of course, you might not notice it if you're toting the standard 8lb budget brick laptop that most Windows users seem to have.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1)

lukas.mach (999732) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703861)

Go to a nearest shop and try to life the 9" eee and the 10" eee. It's a difference. I have a 1.45kg tablet and when it comes to its weight it's really only borderline usable. The 9" eee on the other hand has the perfect weight - light enough, yet not so light to be shaking when you're reading an e-book on bus.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1)

lukas.mach (999732) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703881)

s/life/lift/

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (0)

Um, they do. The Hp Elitebook 6930P advertises 24 hours of battery life with the extended battery.

Re:A bit too heavy IMHO... (1)

beav007 (746004) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703725)

Yes, I see your point. Lets try to simplify </3rd Rock>

<JickL> Your netbook is too heavy. Also, can I have a bigger (heavier) battery?

Or did I miss something?

Glad the Northbridge is Integrated (5, Informative)

lobiusmoop (305328) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703031)

It's always been kind-of annoying knowing that in a lot of netbooks, the super-efficient 2W Atom processor was paired with a clunky old 6W 945 chipset [wikipedia.org] . Such a waste of battery life.

Re:Glad the Northbridge is Integrated (3, Informative)

Aranykai (1053846) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703099)

Ive been pretty impressed with the life Ive gotten out of my Eee 900a with the 1.6GHz Atom so far, but this new spec should blow improve that considerably. With nearly double the battery capacity(of my 900a), this thing should get 6 hours of actual use fairly easily.

Re:Glad the Northbridge is Integrated (5, Funny)

Ive been pretty impressed with the life Ive gotten out of my Eee 900a

You should get the keyboard replaced before the warranty expires.

Re:Glad the Northbridge is Integrated (1)

Narishma (822073) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703849)

I easily get 6 or 7 hours out of my NC10 while working normally with wifi enabled and the screen brightness at half. If I disable wifi and lower the brightness a little more I can get up to 8 hours.

Re:Glad the Northbridge is Integrated (2, Interesting)

Korin43 (881732) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703747)

I don't see why they don't take a motherboard like this and stick it in a normal sized laptop case (14.3"), with a massive battery. It's a laptop. I don't need super fastness, I just need a full sized keyboard, a wireless card and a battery.

Tag (4, Funny)

hax0r_this (1073148) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703049)

Someone should tag this "clitmouse".

Just saying.

Re:Tag (4, Funny)

Chabo (880571) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703305)

Obligatory link:

http://xkcd.com/243/ [xkcd.com]

What I want to know is (4, Funny)

fireman sam (662213) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703111)

Who decided to use touch pads in these netbooks. Why not go with the more controllable clit mouse. Much more pleasurable to use - for both the user and the computer. I refuse to purchase a new laptop/netbook unless it has the clit mouse. Also, the touch pad wastes too much realestate.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

Microlith (54737) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703149)

Much more pleasurable to use - for both the user and the computer.

I wasn't aware that human-computer interaction technology had progressed so far...

Re:What I want to know is (3, Funny)

Nimey (114278) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703191)

Do you manipulate your clit mouse with your tongue?

Re:What I want to know is (0, Troll)

denzacar (181829) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703209)

Newsflash.
The naked lady on your notebook's desktop background? Not real - just a picture.
Also - clit mouse? Not real clitoris.
Neither your computer nor the woman in the photo feel anything when you fondle it.

It is just you... being perverted in a very sad way at your place of occupation.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

workman161 (814490) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703233)

You've got a perfect signature there, too. "This comment is ribbed for your pleasure".

Re:What I want to know is (4, Funny)

wjh31 (1372867) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703241)

because most people wouldnt be able to find it

Re:What I want to know is (1)

imsabbel (611519) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703247)

And i would refuse one without a touchpad.

Face it, people like different things.
I dont like touchpads, but those stupid mouseclits are unusable.

Re:What I want to know is (2, Informative)

workman161 (814490) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703299)

Depends on which pointer you've used. I've tried the ones on dell laptops, and it takes about a half second to register any movement.

However, the ones on my thinkpads and my compaq armada (from '98) work like a dream. Just about everyone I know who had your same idea that a trackpoint is unusable used one of my thinkpads for about 10 minutes and suddenly hated touchpads. They thought it a marvel that they're so rare. Try playing a FPS with a trackpoint instead of a touchpad.

The least they could do is give us an option.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

bill_mcgonigle (4333) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703545)

I hate the ones on the thinkpads too... so far my favorite is the Powerbook trackball, but use a trackpad for want of that.

Try playing a FPS with a trackpoint instead of a touchpad.

Ah, not one of my use cases.

The least they could do is give us an option.

Yeah, but why assume they skipped the market research? Granted, there could be biases at both Lenovo and netbook manufacturers, especially given the length of the choice is longer than most folks' standard employment term. Prepare for egg-opening wars!

Re:What I want to know is (1)

couchslug (175151) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703477)

"I refuse to purchase a new laptop/netbook unless it has the clit mouse."

One benefit:
If the clit mouse cover turns brown and greasy or wears off, you can easily rip it out and replace it.

Re:What I want to know is (5, Funny)

larry bagina (561269) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703615)

I tried that with your mom, but she freaked out

Re:What I want to know is (0)

I... Must... Resist...
That's what she said.

Going back to the topic, I would hate a trackpoint-only netbook. It's true that space is a premium, but I rather have a smaller keyboard and a good trackpad than just a small keyboard.

Re:What I want to know is (0)

Ugh, I can't stand those damn things. Yes, they're small - that's about it. Otherwise they hurt your fingers after a while, and you can't add scrolling, gestures, or any other functionality to them.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

jmorris42 (1458) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703813)

> I refuse to purchase a new laptop/netbook unless it has the clit mouse.

Well Sony has one..... Along with some other neat features. But it also ships with Vista and starts at about $1000 which is pretty much out of the netbook catagory.

> Also, the touch pad wastes too much realestate.

Duh! Which is why I'm shocked that precisely zero netbooks makers have managed to figure out something so blindingly obvious. Take the Sony form factor, scale it up just a bit to cut price a little and get a little more room for a better keyboard and it would be the perfect netbook. And of course lose Vista. I'd prefer a penguin inside but XP Home and 100% hardware compatibility with Linux out of the box only gets ya a couple of demerits in my book since I probably won't like whatever distro they ship anyway.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

MightyYar (622222) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703817)

I slightly prefer the touch pad, if only because if you are in any kind of a moving vehicle the little nub is very hard to control.

Re:What I want to know is (1)

guisar (69737) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703911)

Yeah- all the netbook manufacturers seem stuck on that paradigm- I vote for getting rid of the speakers and touchpad, putting in a larger keyboard which can "unplug" from the surface of the system and all bluetooth accessories (mouse, keyboard, sound out) and switch to a DVI video out. Touchpads are the biggest change that's needed- they just make the system LESS usable not more.

I Wish I Was There to Fight it With You Guys (1, Funny)

... But I was killed in the first wave :-(

use an eraserhead already! (3, Insightful)

macshit (157376) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703163)

Seeing how annoying some of the teeny trackpads in netbooks are, why on earth aren't some of them using trackpoint/eraserhead/clit/whatever controllers instead?

I get the impression most manufacturers do not do a whole lot of thinking when designing these things...

Re:use an eraserhead already! (2, Insightful)

JickL (1398643) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703359)

Actually I prefer the trackpad on my EeePC 701 to the one on my MBP. I find it more precise and I prefer the texture of it. Have I lost all credibility now?

Re:use an eraserhead already! (1)

MichaelSmith (789609) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703671)

No, I find the 701 track pad perfectly okay. The only problem is that when I run the laptop off a cheap inverter in my car noise gets into the track pad and it is useless.

shove it up your faggot asses (-1, Troll)

this is shit for faggots. you'd love to have it up your faggot ass. hopefully all faggots get the aids and die.

Netbooks are the future. (5, Insightful)

darkmeridian (119044) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703195)

A five-hundred dollar, three pound netbook with a ten inch screen, over five hours of battery life, and an integrated 3G wireless card would make regular laptops obsolete for most consumers. You can check your e-mail and word process, and edit photos. That is what most people need.

I currently have a Dell Mini 9 I bought for $265. It has a four hour battery life and is really snappy with Ubuntu 8.10. I use it to check my e-mail. The only downside is the weak graphics, but the new Intel chipset supposedly processes HD video on board.

I cannot wait to get one of the second gen netbooks.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (3, Informative)

X0563511 (793323) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703243)

That new Intel chip isn't actually made by Intel, and because of it linux support is really bad right now.

Beware - don't expect it to be perfect.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (0, Redundant)

Nerdfest (867930) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703471)

Damn. I was excited. Now you've made me sad.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (5, Informative)

jcaplan (56979) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703933)

Yep, I almost submitted the same post. But then I checked my facts.

It turns out that the graphics in this new Asus Eee 1000HE netbook is based on Intel's GMA 950 core, which is integrated into the new Atom N280 core. The recent news (http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/31/1859200 ) was about the GMA 500, which has been in some recent Dell Netbooks. The 950 seems to be in the GMA 900 family, with good old Intel technology and hopefully reasonable Linux drivers.

Sorry, but that egg was *so* close to being on my face!

Re:Netbooks are the future. (0)

Needs a touch screen.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (1)

BikeHelmet (1437881) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703901)

Then you either need a Pandora, or an expensive Tablet.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (1)

joh (27088) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703449)

They are great as long as you have a second more powerful machine. A regular laptop *can* fully work as your only machine but a netbook can't in most cases.

I have seen too many netbooks ending up as a rarely used toy... and they're too expensive for that actually. If you're wise go for the cheapest you can find, for checking your email and a bit of surfing they are all good enough.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (1)

Shados (741919) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703847)

Well, if we're talking home machine here, what CANT a netbook do for an average user? You can browse the web and emails fine, an office suite will work fine, you can listen to music and view your pictures.

What else does an average user do (lets keep it in the realm of legality here). Graphic design? No. 3d modeling? no. Compiling C++? No. Watch HD movies? Uncommon, thats for the TV, and besides, some netbooks could play 720P. High end games? No, even the average lap-top can't do it, hell, even desktop, and some people play WoW on netbooks.

So really, why couldn't a netbook replace a full PC in "most cases"? Unless we totally differ on what "most" people do on their computers.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (2, Interesting)

guisar (69737) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703967)

I have to assume you haven't tried to just use a netbook. Yeah I have desktop with a giant screen and quadcore at home but at work and on the road my Asus works just great, really well in fact. I bring a long cable so I can hook it up to the flat screens that are in more and more hotel rooms. Its fantastic for meetings and I don't have to worry about battery usage. On a plane it's fantastic as it fits right in my lap. At home we keep it on a shelf in the kitchen for looking up recipes, talking via skype and streaming music. I love the the thing- funny though I hated regular size laptops.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (1)

elashish14 (1302231) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703505)

Agreed. For school, lugging around my 7-pound laptop was far too much (like 2 extra textbooks). Investing $300 in a netbook was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Set up an ssh server at home and you're good to go. Now I don't even need to buy another non-portable laptop; from here on out, it's all desktop server machines and netbooks for me.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (0)

You spent $265 to check email?

Re:Netbooks are the future. (2, Interesting)

gEvil (beta) (945888) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703557)

to Fully agreed on the Mini 9. I loved mine so much, I ordered a second one to run OS X on fulltime (typing from it right now). For basic things like emails and browsing slashdot, these things are absolutely perfect. I even hooked it up to a 17" monitor and plugged in a USB keyboard/mouse this weekend to do some work in Quark on it (don't have Quark on my regular desktop PC). The Mini handled it like a real Mac would. Sure, something with a little more horsepower would be nice at times, but really, that's what the desktop is for. And for HD video, I have a HTPC and the PS3.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (-1, Troll)

I ordered a second one to run OS X on fulltime (typing from it right now)

When did Apple start selling OS X standalone?

Re:Netbooks are the future. (0)

It's been available as a retail box for years. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (-1, Troll)

you're running linux? i'm sorry. maybe linux is good for you dick smoking, taking it up the ass faggots but real men run osx. go back to sucking faggot dicks, bitch. we don't need you or your faggot source software.

Re:Netbooks are the future. (1)

MightyYar (622222) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703875)

Print this comment out and bring it to the next meeting with your psychiatrist. I think it will explain a lot.

Trackpoint argh! (1)

soupforare (542403) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703249)

Even lenovo's offering doesn't have a trackpoint, it's ridiculous. Sony's new pictu^WVaio P looks like a sweet machine and is equipped with one, but it's pricey.

Re:Trackpoint argh! (1)

macshit (157376) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703475)

Lenovo is slowly but surely tossing out everything that made thinkpads nice. They'll be yet-another-generic-laptop before long.

Finally (0)

Finally: I've been waiting for something that can manage more than 8h of battery life.

Looking for a netbook, but bigger (2)

jfruhlinger (470035) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703439)

Off-topic, but ... does anyone know if there's any such thing as a notebook that has basic netbook specs, but is a bit bigger? Yeah, I know, the smallness is supposed to be the whole point, but ... my second laptop (an IBM-era ThinkPad) is getting a bit long in the tooth and somewhat flaky. All it's ever used for these days is Web surfing and occasional word processing, and I'd love to replace it with a sub-$500 machine ... but my wife watches video on it quite a bit and doesn't particularly want to squint at a 9- or 10-inch screen (the current laptop is 14 inch). I know that LCD prices add some to the final cost, but is there a netbook-quality 13- or 14-inch laptop out there for not too much more than a netbook?

Re:Looking for a netbook, but bigger (3, Informative)

gEvil (beta) (945888) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703493)

There's the Dell Mini 12, which has a 12" screen. Anything bigger than that and you're basically dealing with low-powered laptops.

Re:Looking for a netbook, but bigger (1)

Bobnova (1435535) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703611)

Dell mini-12 is the closest you can get. 12" screen, better graphics chip, too.

Re:Looking for a netbook, but bigger (1)

Arthur Grumbine (1086397) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703927)

Dude, you're getting a Toshiba [officedepot.com] !!1! Or maybe an Acer [staples.com] !11!. Seriously, there's always at least some deal going on for a low-end laptop going for about $500. Try here [notebookreview.com] or here [slickdeals.net] , if you decide to pass on the previous two offers.

HDMI and DVI? (2, Interesting)

tknd (979052) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703443)

I know lots of old displays still use DSub VGA but when can I get one with HDMI?

It'd be really cool if I could just hook this up to a digital TV which everyone seems to have these days.

Timing is everything (0)

I *just* bought a EPC1000HA. Got here a few days ago. Crap.

No, it's part of the third wave. (4, Interesting)

Dzimas (547818) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703569)

The eee PC 701 was the prototypical first-gen netbook (awkwardly cramped 7" screen and as little as 2 GB flash memory). Machines like the eee PC 901 and Acer Aspire One were part of the extremely successful second-gen (8.9" screens, 8 GB to 32 GB flash memory or up to 160 GB HD + XP or a Vista Neutered option). The new chipset (along with 10" screenage) belongs to the third generation.

Ditch x86? (3, Informative)

ChunderDownunder (709234) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703739)

I keep reading how the x86 instruction set is a limiting factor on efficiency when compared to others such as ARM and MIPS. Though x86 chips are capable of being cranked at higher Hz to compensate.

Though Intel didn't have spectacular success with 'Itanic', might they now consider designing an ISA specifically for low power?

Attracting a big enough market would be the issue, given the Wintel hegemony. But if Linux netbooks find a niche, perhaps Apple could be persuaded to port to this new 'Proton' CPU for "OS X Netbook Edition"? With intel's backing they wouldn't face the same fabrication problems as they had with PowerPC.
[Insert obligatory beowulf cluster comment].

Re:Ditch x86? (2, Informative)

guppysap13 (1225926) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703943)

I remember reading about some Dell laptops that had both an Intel chip and an ARM chip. The Intel was used for Windows/Linux normally. For simpler tasks (basic browsing, email, etc.), the laptop booted Linux using the ARM chip, attached to the same hardware. It had much better battery life on ARM, but still was able to use the Intel if it needed to do more processor-intense tasks. Or run Windows. Ahh...here's the article http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-and-ARM-Processors-Inside-the-Same-Notebook-98601.shtml [softpedia.com]

Re:Ditch x86? (3, Interesting)

BikeHelmet (1437881) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703949)

I really doubt Intel would branch out with a new architecture - or at least, not a low power one. Remember that 80-core processor they made a while back? They'd probably make a new architecture for processors like that, to improve their dominance in the server/render-farm market.

ARM really has low power and small locked down. An Atom is impressive at 2 watts, but ARM will soon be doing the same at 0.1 watts, and with ARM SoCs everything is in a single chip, so you can also cut out 20 watts from the other components in the netbook.

There's no point really... The Atom(and netbooks in general) are huge cash cows, but x86 will never try to take over the Cellphone/Ultra-Low-Power-Device market.

Re:Ditch x86? (1)

dudpixel (1429789) | more than 5 years ago | (#26704033)

the trouble with ditching x86 is finding someone who will spend the $$$$$$ to develop a more efficient processor knowing that it wont run windows.

The whole reason for netbooks is that you can still do all the usual stuff on them - and if your 'usual stuff' means running your windows apps then you'll want to run windows.

To me the biggest benefit of netbooks is that they are cheap, small and x86 - so its like a pda but with a real keyboard, good sized screen and its a full computer.

Holding out (1)

Shados (741919) | more than 5 years ago | (#26703929)

I'm personally holding out to see if they come out with (admitedly high end) multi-touch Windows 7 based net books. There's already some slick tablet PCs that are nearly netbook-sized (I've only seen them in some asian countries, dunno if some are available here...didn't see any anyway), the future is looking bright.

What the EEE Should Have Been (2, Interesting)

LUH 3418 (1429407) | more than 5 years ago | (#26704023)

If this works out nearly as well as they say it will, this will be what the original EEE should have been. The 10" screen will be more readable, the slightly larger keyboard more comfortable, while keeping the unit light and portable compared to a regular laptop.

Furthermore, the chipset being integrated into the 45nm CPU will fix the problem of having an outdated chipset that consumes several times more power than your CPU does (negating the benefits of a low power CPU). We might finally see some *good* battery life on these things.

Now, we just have to hope the price won't suck. I'm placing my bet at ~$550-700, pretty much as expensive as an OK regular laptop, but more portable...