The Best and Worst From CES 2013

samzenpus posted about 2 years ago | from the good-and-bad dept.

Displays 152

CowboyRobot writes "InformationWeek has collected what it considers to be the five dumbest ideas presented at this year's CES. The list includes: 'The HapiFork is an electronic fork that tracks how many mouthfuls of food you consume during a given meal, how many seconds pass between bites, and how long the meal took to complete.' Also on the list is the iPotty, which is about what you would guess from the name. And for balance, the list of the seven standout technologies includes 3M's 84-inch touchscreen display and Parrot's $300 'AR Drone 2.0, a gravity-defying spectacle that puts yesteryear's remote-control helicopters to shame with its ability to dive, spin and whirl through the air.'"

Silly names... (1)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 2 years ago | (#42581441)

The first think I imagined when I read "HapiFork" was, well, Hapi [wikipedia.org] . You don't want to imagine *that*. (The other Hapi [wikipedia.org] isn't necessarily a better association either, and I won't even talk about the third one [wikipedia.org] .)

Re:Silly names... (5, Funny)

Skiboy941 (2692201) | about 2 years ago | (#42581469)

From wikipedia: "He is typically depicted as a man with a large belly wearing a loincloth, having long hair and having pendulous, female-like breasts." So the fork is to prevent you from getting fat and getting man-titties?

The 4K tablet. (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581453)

That 20 inch tablet is NOT one of the worst, its presence on that list really reduces the credibility of the list.

It's not one of the best either, but it being mentioned alongside the 'HapiFork' is disgraceful.

Re:The 4K tablet. (5, Insightful)

squiggleslash (241428) | about 2 years ago | (#42581551)

I'm a little confused by the list to be honest. Apparently a novel food tracking device to help dieting is a terrible idea, but an 84" tablet is way cool and a huge advance for everyone.

Re:The 4K tablet. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42582527)

In other news, american life expectancy lags behind.

Re:The 4K tablet. (2)

Hoi Polloi (522990) | about 2 years ago | (#42582713)

I just want to know when they will invent pockets on a normal pair of blue jeans large enough to comfortably hold these giant phones.

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 2 years ago | (#42583325)

You sound like one of those repulsive luddite enemies of progress who don't have their phone(or, 'phablet', to us cool kids) out and in use 100% of the time...

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

flyingfsck (986395) | about 2 years ago | (#42583725)

Only a pick-pocket would want a tablet pocketed.

Re:The 4K tablet. (2)

AuMatar (183847) | about 2 years ago | (#42583923)

Or someone who doesn't carry a backpack/purse/briefcase. If it doesn't fit in my pocket, it may as well be a desktop- I'm not taking it anywhere.

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

kiwimate (458274) | about 2 years ago | (#42582961)

No kidding. I started off with the "standout items" list.

Number 1 - gigantic tablet. Nothing standout or breakthrough, just quite large version of existing stuff, vague assertions that "it might be sort of useful in the enterprise?". They couldn't even think why it might be useful.

Number 2 - LG has lots of cool television enhancements on the way such as improved interfaces and voice command response. But they didn't show that. Just a rather big screen that's too expensive for anyone to buy.

Number 3 - a little hovering thing. Nothing new, nothing improved, except it's got extended battery life.

I gave up at this point.

Re:The 4K tablet. (2)

vlm (69642) | about 2 years ago | (#42581671)

The "worst" part is you make a giant glass cockpit device and FAA/DOT/USCG/Area51 won't approve it for vehicular use, so you stick a battery in it and call it a tablet.

The first thing I thought of was Steve Jobs yacht or whomever it was, where the whole boat was run by computers. A waterproofed marine version would of course quintuple the price but would make a pretty awesome UI if you installed 3 or more in a boat (3 or more identical ones, so when you crack screen #2 you can bring the weather radar up on screen #7 instead or whatever)

Would make a great component for a project artemis bridge, too, if you can buy about six of them and mount them to plywood somehow.

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/ [eochu.com]

Re:The 4K tablet. (2)

Tx (96709) | about 2 years ago | (#42581733)

Agreed. It's obviously not meant to be used in the same way as an iPad or Nexus 7, as the author's comments seem to imply that he thinks (" it's way too big to easily handle" - duh), it's more a portable 20" all-in-one PC. I can think of uses for a 20" 4k tablet, whereas beyond "does it blend?" I'm coming up blank with the HapiFork.

Re:The 4K tablet. (2)

ShanghaiBill (739463) | about 2 years ago | (#42583833)

I'm coming up blank with the HapiFork.

Perhaps you are not in the target market. I was a skinny kid in a large family, and learned early to wolf my food down quickly before someone else grabbed it. When I hit age forty, I started to put on a few pounds. One of the things I did to lose those pounds was slow down and pace my eating, so that the hunger would fade before I was already stuffed. But it was difficult to break a lifetime habit of eating quickly, and something like HapiFork may have helped.

We have a major obesity problem in this country, and it is spreading worldwide. If HapiFork can help a few people, and be a small part of the solution, then we should not be so quick to ridicule it.

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

gameboyhippo (827141) | about 2 years ago | (#42582081)

I actually was pretty excited about the prospects of a 20" tablet. It'd make a great "control panel" for my home.

Re:The 4K tablet. (5, Funny)

0xdeadbeef (28836) | about 2 years ago | (#42582131)

But that's bigger than the iPad! Nothing can be different than what Apple does, that is the surest sign of failure. I mean, look what happend to 7" tablets. They did not succeed until Apple made one.

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

ranton (36917) | about 2 years ago | (#42582167)

I just heard about this 4K tablet, and it is the one technology on either the 'good' or 'bad' list that has me excited. I haven't found an estimated price, but if they can make a 20" tablet with 4K resolution for around $2k then there may be hope for a 30"+ monitor with 4K resolution someday. I would buy a monitor like that for $1999 immediately.

Re:The 4K tablet. (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42582815)

Doesn't sound like a fail to me either. Rather it's geared to a specific market.

Sounds to me given the size and high resolution like a device very well suited to become a portable variant of the Wacom Cintiq. (Provided it can support and be integrated with that Wacom transponder stylus tech.) If it has enough computing power to work the latest Adobe Creative Suite software, all the better. (Which would make sense if it's Windows 8.) Some professional artist types would really like a device that lets them do their digital painting, illustration, and presentation planning work while not tied to a desk.

CES is to Electronics Pros as (0)

retroworks (652802) | about 2 years ago | (#42581457)

Christmas is to Christians and Earth Day is to Environmentalists.

Re:CES is to Electronics Pros as (4, Funny)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 2 years ago | (#42582299)

Christmas is to Christians and Earth Day is to Environmentalists.

Over-commercialised, bereft of its original meaning, and just a big pain in the arse for the rest of us?

Re:CES is to Electronics Pros as (1)

hawkinspeter (831501) | about 2 years ago | (#42582595)

Bereft of its original meaning? You're obviously referring to celebrating the god Saturn which the christians perverted into the current mess.

According to whom? (3, Insightful)

Barryke (772876) | about 2 years ago | (#42581463)

Some things, like the 20" tablet are ideal for some situations. Just about anywhere a wacom monitor is used on the road, for example.

Back in the days i have seen artists lug around with bulky CRT's because they where the only thing that had both high resolution and proper pen support.

I just hope the MS Surface Pro has touch sensitive pen, and it'll be done. If only it where 18" and had a resolution of 2560x1400! All todays modern devices are made for mice and Chinese fingers.. I'm 2 meters tall for crying out loud i don't mind carrying anything not wider than me. With a fullsize keyboard if possible.

Its all relative. What sucks for the author, may be the ideal product for others.

Re:According to whom? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581577)

I just hope the MS Surface Pro has touch sensitive pen, and it'll be done.

It has one [engadget.com] . It looks pretty interesting. I might pick one up if the price tag comes in under four figures.

Re:According to whom? (1)

Korruptionen (2647747) | about 2 years ago | (#42581619)

Have you ever seen or used a large laptop? :D

Re:According to whom? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581653)

For *some* situations maybe. I used to lug around an 18inch laptop. PAIN FULL (was a good idea when I bought it). Heavy, bulky, and a pain to wave around (bet the 20 inch one weighs at least 4 pounds prob more like 6-8 for glass and battery). Which means you have to stand it up somewhere, or find a good spot to lay it out (and remember its decently big). Also good luck finding a bag for a 20 inch screen. All the bags out there are made for 17 or lower unless you custom order or dig around on the internet. Also hope you do not mind not using it on a plane. Most coach seats you are lucky to get enough room for a 17 inch laptop.

16-17 is the sweet spot for portability. Now just find me a decent laptop (not apple) with 1400 rows...

Entirely missed the market - Architects (2)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 2 years ago | (#42581825)

Anyone who doesn't "get" the appeal of the 5lb, 20" tablet is clearly not an architect (or a related engineering discipline, like structural engineer...me). A 10" screen is too small to do almost anything on that really matters, and if you have a capacitive-only input it's doubly useless. I've tried 3-4 different styli on my iPad, only to usually give up after writing whiteboard-sized letters to accommodate the 1/4" tip diameter of the finest point reliable stylus. You can't even write a full line of text.

And you needn't worry about us finding a case for it. We've been toting around 11x17/A3 physical pads forever. In fact, that's the preferable format for taking a set of personal-sized drawings to a meeting, also known as a 1/2 size set (1/2 of an ANSI D, or 22x34). We've got a dozen folios in the supply closet that would fit this tablet perfectly.

This tablet, I suspect, has a wider audience or practical usability than making an imprint of your face on an iPhone cover, a $300 charger you can only get from Brookstone, or a $300 quadcopter.

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (3, Interesting)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 2 years ago | (#42581859)

Yeah, a market of 80,000 in the US is a great market.

http://www.aia.org/press/AIAS077761 [aia.org]

At that that run rate, I'm sure the tablets won't cost more than about $50k a piece.
At which point, the market goes down to 8,000 and the price goes up to $100k.

See how this works? Or doesn't?

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (2)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 2 years ago | (#42582123)

You missed the entire engineering market that goes with them, which is several times bigger - and that's if you exclude the entire civil engineering field. It also excludes every architect who decides not to pay the AIA to be a "member." Don't forget all of the large general contractors out there doing hundreds of billions of dollars of construction projects every year who are utilizing building information modeling. Which, funny enough, is EXACTLY the market these have been made for - to the extent that one of the biggest players in the software size of technical drawing markups (Bluebeam) is working with them to make it happen.

And that ignores the entire photography and graphics art market, where something like this would be quite useful, as Wacom is keenly aware. (though without a pressure sensitive pen, you'll lose some of them)

The potential application extends to any field where large-format (in other words anything that uses Letter/A4 or larger pages) access to pages is necessary. That's a bit more of a stretch, but this will display two A3 pages side by side - just like a regular technical manual - in color, and with real time data connection to a local server. The KindleDX never really took off, but Amazon also never pushed it and never upgraded it because tech manuals don't sell well on Amazon.com.

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 2 years ago | (#42582245)

Yeah, but wouldn't it just be easier to have a regular laptop, or really powerful 10 inch tablet that you plug into a regular screen/keyboard/mouse when you want to get work done? There's very little point in carrying around a 20 inch screen, since a 20 inch screen won't be big enough for real work anyway, and most places where you want to work will probably have a suitable screen there already. Obviously, it's nice to carry around your hard drive, so your data and applications are with you, and carry around your computer (CPU, RAM, Video card, etc) because the applications/OS don't play nice when you just attach them to a completely different computer. But there is always no reason at all to carry around a very large monitor.

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (1)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 2 years ago | (#42582295)

Fine, add an extra zero to the volumes. Or even two.

Won't make a damn bit of difference if that's your entire market.

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (1)

Gaygirlie (1657131) | about 2 years ago | (#42582643)

Does it even have to be a huge commercial success to be useful? No, wait, I'll answer for you: no, it doesn't. There are plenty of things in this world that may not be terribly useful for the general populace or huge commercial successes, yet they're definitely worth their weight in gold for their intended target-audience. You, clearly, are not a part of the target-audience here given your lack of insight.

Re:Entirely missed the market - Architects (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42583251)

It hasn't stopped engineering targeted laptops before, so I don't know why it would stop this. And those came out quite a bit cheaper, even the old ones that had displays above what was typical in consumer devices. Maybe it helps there are other people that want portable desktops too, which is a rather different niche than large mobile computers, typically not caring much about battery life or weight. I've seen far more esoteric stuff targeted towards artist come in a lot cheaper for a lot smaller production runs.

Re:According to whom? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581661)

I think that tablet's not going to be very successful unless they bump up the specs because I'm not sure how well it will do with illustrator, photoshop and lightroom with those specs.

Re:According to whom? (1)

Bill_the_Engineer (772575) | about 2 years ago | (#42581697)

I think the large tablet is cool if was a smaller and cheaper implementation of Microsoft's surface technology (not their new tablets, the older touch UI). I think carrying a 20" tablet around is a bit much and prone to have a very small market.

High resolution computer screens back? Please? (2)

IndustrialComplex (975015) | about 2 years ago | (#42581971)

I realize that a lot of tech writers have forgotten what it is like to use computers, but I really miss the high-resolution monitors that we USED to have.

I'm glad that one of the big things that the companies are pushing now are going to be 4K displays for TVs because that means that (due to the shared manufacturing lines), the screens for computer monitors are going to get 4K screens eventually as well. I hate that you have to go out of your way to find a monitor that exceeds the 'television' format of 1080p.

So, I'm really excited to see this be the new push, because I have little use for '3D'.

oh good... (4, Funny)

phil_aychio (2438214) | about 2 years ago | (#42581465)

my USB-enabled smart enema bag didn't make the top 5

Re:oh good... (1)

JustOK (667959) | about 2 years ago | (#42581853)

but in the end, it'll be useful

The Worst? (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581477)

Clearly it was the Keynote [theverge.com]

Re:The Worst? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581701)

ZOMG. Have these execs been too long surrounded with yes-men that they have totally lost their contact with real world? Or perhaps they just have better dope dealers than the rest of us.

Re:The Worst? (1)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 2 years ago | (#42581861)

Why can't it be both?

84-inch touchscreen - the end to Gorilla Arm! (1)

fatphil (181876) | about 2 years ago | (#42581495)

Now it'll be Orangutang Arm instead.

Re:84-inch touchscreen - the end to Gorilla Arm! (1)

timeOday (582209) | about 2 years ago | (#42581955)

Do people moan and groan this much about whiteboards? That's what this is, the latest incarnation of the smartboard. So far I haven't seen any smartboards actually displace whiteboards - too laggy, not enough contrast - but maybe they'll get it right eventually.

Re:84-inch touchscreen - the end to Gorilla Arm! (1)

fatphil (181876) | about 2 years ago | (#42583665)

I don't know about large things like that, but I do know that my favourite input device and medium is a pen on paper still.

20" 4K display is dumb now? (2)

carlvlad (942493) | about 2 years ago | (#42581545)

I dont get it, Why would the 20" 4K display be considered dumb? As a tablet it may not be seen as ideal to MOST of the people out there, but I'm more impressed that they managed to cram those pixels into 20" display. I'm not sure if they're the first to manufacture such hardware, but I've never seen anyone made that level of display at that small size. (not to forget as a tablet those includes the processor and the rest of the electronics.)

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (0)

ikaruga (2725453) | about 2 years ago | (#42581659)

I guess that is because it's not called Retina(TM) Display.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (2)

Vanderhoth (1582661) | about 2 years ago | (#42581677)

The reason they listed it as "dumb" was because there's no content optimized for a 4K display, which is a "dumb" reason to have it listed on the "dumb" list.

For the 84" 4K TV, there's no content optimized for it yet, but some how it made the good list. The distinction seems to be one is a TV so higher rez is awesome, even with out the content, the other is a tablet so higher rez is dumb, because there's no content.

I pretty much agreed with them up to that point.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (2)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42581739)

Isn't it normal that displays become available before content is widely available?

We are just getting to the point were HD is the dominant format. HDTVs have been affordable to pretty much everyone for years now. The same will happen with 4K. Once a 55"-60" unit is under $5000 then content will be more available.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (2)

carlvlad (942493) | about 2 years ago | (#42581809)

I do believe that at this early point of time, 4K (or other higher than "HD" resolution) displays would be targeted at content creators, instead of content consumers. I do freelance videography, I would love to have high density display in small size. I keep hearing the same consensus from my peers within the same field that the display market had been stagnant at atrocious "FullHD 16:9". (Yes there are a lot of professional grade displays but they are financially out of reach from us mere freelancers :) )

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581879)

So, you want even higher resolution, that's going to cost even more, but you can't afford what's currently available.

SMH.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581835)

After considerring posting a flimsy defense, I doublechecked. He mocks a "large" phone for not having a retina display, mocks a large tablet for having more resolution than a retina display, and then drools all over a touch-table.

Conclusion: Michael Endler is not a useful author.

/. Story Winner; this thread may now be closed (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 2 years ago | (#42582005)

Yeah, that just about sums it up. If had mod points, you would get them. All.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581961)

Both are equally stupid. The market for tech like that at this point in time is small.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (1)

JaredOfEuropa (526365) | about 2 years ago | (#42582025)

I've seen the 84" LG TV in action, with a (jaw dropping) demo at 4K, but also showing regular Bluray content which gets upscaled to 4K by the TV. While obviously not as good as real 4K, the result is still pretty damn impressive;upscalers have gotten a lot better than simple bi-linear interpolation.

Re:20" 4K display is dumb now? (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 2 years ago | (#42583025)

I personally think a 4k computer is much better than a 4K TV. At least with a computer, you could play a game and it would be rendered at 4K (assuming it had enough processing power). But for a TV, there aren't any movies that you can buy at 4K, and there doesn't even exist any media to contain a 4K movie, short of hooking up computer and having the movie stored on the hard drive. Even then, the only way to obtain the hypothetical 4K movie would be to download it, which would use up quite a substantial amount of your download allowance.

Standout vs Dumb (1)

the eric conspiracy (20178) | about 2 years ago | (#42581587)

What is the difference?

I don't see myself any more likely to buy the standout products than the dumb products.

84" touch screens and $20,000 4K LCDs aren't any more likely to make it into my living room than the iPotty. In fact the iPotty is more likely.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

RichMan (8097) | about 2 years ago | (#42581707)

Next year it will be $10k. Year after $2k. Then $1k and $500.
Year after that you will need a new TV and it will be in the living room.

Sure very few people get what is at CES this. 5 years out it will be generally available and used.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

squiggleslash (241428) | about 2 years ago | (#42581799)

It's an 84" touchscreen. Hard to see why you'd want the touchscreen in a device you typically control from several arm lengths away.

I guess you could tie one of those capacitive styli to the end of a broom pole and use that as a remote...

Re:Standout vs Dumb (4, Funny)

NatasRevol (731260) | about 2 years ago | (#42581895)

Capacitive nerf gun bullets for those who won't (or can't) be bothered to get up.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

squiggleslash (241428) | about 2 years ago | (#42581907)

I take it all back, an 84" tablet is the most awesomeist thing ever!

Re:Standout vs Dumb (2)

azalin (67640) | about 2 years ago | (#42582309)

Couple that with a fancy bullet hole app and watching daytime television suddenly got interesting again.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42581965)

It would be neat for parties. Let people control the music and such for the whole house.

Right now my solution involves someone asking me, which takes away from party time.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

mcmonkey (96054) | about 2 years ago | (#42582389)

Good news everyone!

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 2 years ago | (#42583435)

If it didn't cost a fucking fortune(har, har, right..) and it had software and sensors to back it; a touchscreen that big would make a cool replacement for the 'tabletop coated with maps that the brass are standing around and being dramatic' from every sci-fi and/or war movie ever....

That's the thing: if 'touch' were free, there are probably all sorts of neat applications that you could come up with for it. As it is, though, we still don't have anything resembling a cheap, competent, and standardized "Smart Home" light switch.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

the eric conspiracy (20178) | about 2 years ago | (#42581929)

In the case of the 85" 4K LCD screen I doubt it will be in my living room in 5 years.

LG said that they will be selling this as 55 and 65 inch models. So the 85" isn't going to be a commercial product at all.

Not only that, but I don't see the point of 4K at all. The human eye just can't see the difference at reasonable viewing distances.

And then there is the question of when in OLED coming to market? Hopefully in 5 years for real.

Re:Standout vs Dumb (1)

ddd0004 (1984672) | about 2 years ago | (#42581817)

I was thinking the same thing.
iPhone case that had been 3D printed? Ok, the software may be good for allowing the average consumer to create a 3D model, but to create iPhone cases. That's a ridiculous product. Let's see I get to put my face on my phone and my phone won't lay flat anymore and now it's 3 times as thick and when I talk on the phone it looks like I have a parasitic twin head on the side of my face. These are all great features sign me up.

Not a "consumer" electronics show. (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42582033)

They call it the "Consumer" electronics show, but it hasn't been one for a while.

An 84" touchscreen is a good candidate for digital signage and directory applications. Some businesses will buy them.

The 4K LCD will drop in price sharply, and when it does, it will find applications. Probably for data visualization at first; that resolution is probably overkill for watching TV or movies at reasonable screen sizes and viewing distances (Except for the "audiophile" crowd, which doesn't care about such things.)

The iPotty...yeah.

Why didn't the second list make it onto the first? (5, Insightful)

DeathToBill (601486) | about 2 years ago | (#42581689)

So, a 20" tablet is one of the five dumbest ideas at CES, but a tablet measuring seven feet is one of the standouts? Hmmm.

Another "standout" technology is MyLink, which... well, its a wireless hands-free kit for your phone. You know, like Bluetooth, only, um, well, about the same, actually... No wait! With a button on the steering wheel! That's right! A button to activate the voice-activated features on your phone!

Stuff all that free-culture-open-hardware-3d-printing-for-the-masses crap, you can print YOUR OWN FACE ON YOUR iPHONE CASE! And DRONES! Alright, the same drones as last year, but WITH A BIGGER BATTERY!

That's not all, there are VPNs! VPNs for smartphones! Yes! The innovation - can you feel it yet? And did we mention bigger batteries? Bloody expensive ones, too.

If this is the best innovation in electronics has to offer, I think I'll go find a cave and some rocks to bang together.

Re:Why didn't the second list make it onto the fir (4, Funny)

c (8461) | about 2 years ago | (#42581725)

Be careful with that rock banging thing. If anyone hears your rocks, there's a good chance that you'll be infringing on a mobile communications patent.

Re:Why didn't the second list make it onto the fir (1)

DeathToBill (601486) | about 2 years ago | (#42582191)

Nice. I'd better start looking for prior art.

Re:Why didn't the second list make it onto the fir (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581767)

Can understand the hatred. Around here we bang chicks instead.

Re:Why didn't the second list make it onto the fir (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581953)

Wait, am I on 4chan?

Re:Why didn't the second list make it onto the fir (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42582599)

Hey, size matters!

80" touch screen? (1)

Pikoro (844299) | about 2 years ago | (#42581789)

But I have a 100" touch display in my office. I built it almost 3 years ago.

They had pinball there as well nice to see USA (1)

Joe_Dragon (2206452) | about 2 years ago | (#42581813)

They had pinball there as well nice to see made in the USA stuff getting press like that.

call me when there is a hover board (1)

cod3r_ (2031620) | about 2 years ago | (#42581847)

Only 2 years left.

What I don't understand... (5, Interesting)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 2 years ago | (#42581869)

Why are all these '4k' displays being introduced as TVs, rather than marketed as monitors(possibly in slightly smaller sizes, ~36 inches, say) that just happen to have a bunch of types of video input?

On the TV side there is zip, zero, zilch, nada, fuck-all available at that resolution. An entire ecosystem of foot-dragging broadcasters, STBs, impractically high demands for streaming, no disk format, etc. stands in the way. As a monitor? Even relatively proasic PCs should be able to drive the thing(and a video card that costs more than a couple hundred bucks can probably even keep the frame rates up) and 'retina' is all the rage these days.

Obviously, unless they specifically break the connectors in some way contrary to spec, these "TVs" will work as monitors; but why aren't they being sold as such?

People want more TVs than monitors in their house (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | about 2 years ago | (#42581977)

Didn't you get the memo? Computers are dead - it's going to be all tablets and ultralight laptops from now on. ;-)

Seriously, though - the market for personal PCs is dropping, being replaced by small form factor devices. The market for "monitors" is on its way to niche status, rather than the mandatory with-every-computer-sold status it enjoyed. But everybody seems to need a TV is every room of their house, and with the super-thin models it's practical to just hang it on any empty wall. Instead of two computers/monitors and a single large TV, we're moving to no fixed computers and 3-5 TVs. Of course they'll market them as TVs.

The only depressing thing is that they're in HDTV aspect ratios, which is less than ideal for a monitor. Then again, if you're getting 4k resolution, you've got all the real estate you need. (Hey, how 'bout they put the Panasonic tablet screen in a monitor - it's a lovely 3:2 ratio 3840x2650!)

Re:People want more TVs than monitors in their hou (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 2 years ago | (#42583123)

The market for PCs is dropping because for most people (not gamers) there hasn't been a need to upgrade your PC in the last 5 years. Nothing has changed. I know this because I have a PC that it 6 years old, and it works perfectly fine and I feed no need to upgrade it. I'll buy a new one when it dies, because having a full size PC is nice, but I won't spend more than $400 on it. Putting a 4K touch screen on PC might actually give me a reason to go out and buy something new.

Re:What I don't understand... (1)

Tom (822) | about 2 years ago | (#42583043)

Refresh rates? A TV shows 24/25/29 fps, while most gamers want to have 60fps. Doubling the frame rate for a display device isn't exactly trivial.

Note this is just a guess. I don't have a TV so I don't bother checking specs of any new ones, but this seems to be the most immediate difference.

Re:What I don't understand... (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 2 years ago | (#42583291)

The one upside of the (otherwise largely bullshit) '3D headachevision shutterglasses' nonsense is that it has substantially increased the number of TVs in the wild that can handle refresh rates twice as high as the various ATSC/NTSC oddities in order to allow a traditional framerate for each eye even when the shutter glasses are only giving each eye every-other frame.

This doesn't necessarily apply in the cheap seats; but the '3D' fad means that you can purchase hardware in the 60-120hz range, some of which isn't even entirely lying about its abilities...

No Oculus? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581889)

I think they must've missed it

Which is which again? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42581915)

Please help me...which article is which?

I can't tell why "Collaboration surface touch screen, only bigger" is good but "Tablet touch screen, only bigger" is bad. ...or why "gaudy alligator skin phone case" is bad but "3D-printed skull phone case" is good.

All the "good" products are either "existing thing", "existing thing but bigger", or "stupid thing". All of these products are terrible.

iPotty is a revolution in potty training! (1)

TheSkepticalOptimist (898384) | about 2 years ago | (#42582053)

Only a person without a child would think iPotty is a stupid idea.

While I don't have a child, my best buddy has a 3 year old that has been very difficult to get potty trained. They finally did so by using the iPad as a way to entice her to stay on the potty long enough to do her business. Within two weeks she is fully potty trained.

There are two guarantees for every infant, they love iPad, and hate getting potty trained.

How is this any dumber then the geek that hangs a TV in their bathroom?

Re:iPotty is a revolution in potty training! (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 2 years ago | (#42582733)

I have 3 kids, all finally potty trained. And it isn't really that hard. It takes a couple of days before they really get the hang of it, and some kids take longer to poop on the toilet, but I never understood why people have so much trouble with it. I have friends who give their kids big rewards every time they go to the bathroom. For my first two, they got a sticker on chart when they used the potty. And the third we didn't do that but I think he was easier because he understood that bigger kids did it. If they want something to do on the potty, just hand them a book, There's no way that mixing a $500 iPad and water is a good idea. Also, don't even use potties. Just get the special seat for the real toilet so they don't fall in. Otherwise, you have to teach them twice. Once to use the potty, and once to use the real toilet. Plus you don't have to clean out the plastic potty.

Re:iPotty is a revolution in potty training! (1)

slashmydots (2189826) | about 2 years ago | (#42582999)

Because they're going to break your iPad

Re:iPotty is a revolution in potty training! (1)

tompaulco (629533) | about 2 years ago | (#42583173)

Yeah, that's how I litter-box trained my cat, too, but cleaning up the iPad afterwords sure is a mess. But you have to love technology. Before the iPad, only the editorial section could convince a cat to use the litter-box.

Behind the hobbyists a bit then (1)

tttonyyy (726776) | about 2 years ago | (#42582059)

Expensive drone considering £32 will buy you a Hubsan x4 then £4 from Hong Kong for a keychain spycamera stripped and stuck to the underneath = spy drone for £36. And you end up with a stable, smaller quad that is better built (no nasty polystyrene body).

Some of the RC guys are experimenting with FPV for the Hubsan x4, there's a few vids on the forums of people flying it around their houses, first person style using lightweight video cams and TX modules.

Quadrotors can be a world of fun without breaking the bank :)

Re:Behind the hobbyists a bit then (1)

slim (1652) | about 2 years ago | (#42582683)

Sure, but $300 doesn't seem too shabby for a turnkey system, with a full support infrastructure.

That director mode looks cool - have it do pre-programmed camera moves like pans and crane shots. If I was an amateur film-maker I'd be getting one in a flash.

Eh? (1)

jandersen (462034) | about 2 years ago | (#42582077)

I don't know about those two lists - is the fork thing stupid? I think what is stupid is the assumption that it is intended to somehow stop people from overeating; it isn't, it is only a device that may perhaps help the user keep track of the eating of a meal. This could be valuable information, just like keeping a food diary can.

On the other hand, what is the sense of have a gigantic television screen with absurdly high resolution, when all you can watch is crappy programs or crappy computer games? It's a bit like owning a Ferrari when you only ever drive around in a 30 mph area; well, you get the idea.

Are these lists really the best one can come up with? This kind of reporting seems to have been dredged from the bottom of the CESpit.

Re:Eh? (1)

DigitalReverend (901909) | about 2 years ago | (#42582515)

You know, I actually like the idea of the fork. I have lost 30 lbs so far by doing 2 things. Decreasing portion sizes and concentrating on not eating fast. Simply decreasing portion sizes is good, but if I ate too fast I would still feel hungry and want more. Slowing down the speed of my eating seems to have given my body more time to signal the brain that I am slow, and having the fork would have been cool because during a good meal with friends, the last thing I wanted to pay attention to what the speed of my eating, and the fork would have been a handy reminder to slow down.

Re:Eh? (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 2 years ago | (#42582865)

I've lost 40 lbs (and gained 10 back, I was a little too thin) since I left university by doing two things. Biking a lot, and eating real food. Commuting by bicycle to work was probably a huge factor (was biking about 40 km a day when I was at my lightest, my commute has since gotten shorter), but I didn't lose a lot of the weight until I stopped eating so much fast food, and started eating mostly meals that I or my wife prepared from basic ingredients. I still eat quite a bit, and I don't worry about portion sizes too much, but eating real food does cut down on calories. It's really easy to go to burger king and eat 1500-2000 calories. It's a lot harder to do that when you're at home and have water to drink, along with a meal that's made from whole foods.

Re:Eh? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42583573)

Maybe it depends on the person of what you cook. My wife and I have been big into cooking from scratch for some time now. At first it was to save some money, and then later we got good enough to like the results better than other easy options, plus it has become a bit of a hobby. Despite that, I managed to gain 20 pounds over a year or two, even though I would walk to work, 30 minutes each way, and would eat out less than once a month. I only got that weight off by increasing my exercise schedule and lowering portion size.

Where are zee googles!!!??? (1)

Krneki (1192201) | about 2 years ago | (#42582121)

Oculus Rift is going to bring us the VR many have dreamt for years, sure this year they will only produce the developer version. But soon we will get the commercial version, higher resolution, lighter, even better tracking, ... and all that for 300$.

Bring me the future NOW!

We aren't going to get the best or worst. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42582225)

Because the parent company that is hosting this shop talk says what's allowed to be in.

Don't laugh at the iPotty (2)

Frankie70 (803801) | about 2 years ago | (#42582469)

Some days down the line, there will be photographs of Angelina Jolie, Madonna and Beckham's kids using an iPotty. And then all the hipsters will make sure they buy one and will also post photos of it on twitter and facebook.

The sad thing... (2)

gweilo8888 (921799) | about 2 years ago | (#42582691)

...is that the Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 being labeled as a standout was released getting on for a year ago now. Was this year's CES really so underwhelming, with so few interesting products, that the best we can cite are products that aren't even new?

best quote ever (1)

slashmydots (2189826) | about 2 years ago | (#42582979)

Why come up with fancy marketing when you can just quote to the media: "Unlike traditional VPN solutions that don't work on mobile phones, this one does." That's some graceful stuff right there.

Re:best quote ever (1)

fuzzyfuzzyfungus (1223518) | about 2 years ago | (#42583483)

It must really make you reconsider your worthless existence when your 'breakthrough' is a VPN that works on mobile phones after essentially all the mobile phones that matter to VPN users have switched to near-full desktop/OS networking stacks...

Intellect Motion GameCube (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42583631)

I'm surprised there was no mention of this one. Definitely the silliest idea to me. It's a HUGE harness system that looks like one of those "baby bounce" seats except 8 feet tall. After getting strapped in to it, you physically lean around and jump to move your character. There's a little gun attachment that is like a poor man's Wiimote, and the whole thing just looks absurd. Here's a video:

I hope they get sued for copyright infringement or something (it seems no one who reports on this device even mentions or knows there was "GameCube" before this thing that was actually good).

Re:Intellect Motion GameCube (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42583879)

Wow that thing was stupid. Also what game was that, Quake or something?

Huawei's Ascend Mate (1)

JustABlitheringIdiot (1773798) | about 2 years ago | (#42583915)

So just how long before I can expect this to be the next big POS offered from T-Mobile?

Since they seem to have an issue getting better quality handsets, its inevitable that this Huawei phone will be theirs exclusively. I give it 4 months before it's their next "flagship" phone.