Fire Destroys Iron Mountain Data Warehouse, Argentina's Bank Records Lost

Soulskill posted about 6 months ago | from the offsite-backups-are-for-wimps dept.

Cloud 463

cagraham writes "A fire at Iron Mountain's data warehouse in Buenos Aires left the facility 'ruined' and killed nine first-responders, according to the Washington Post. The origin of the fire is unknown. The facility was supposedly equipped with sprinkler systems, fire control systems, and had a private emergency team on standby. Among the records destroyed are Argentina's bank archives, the loss of which could have some surprisingly far-reaching implications."

So they eliminated their debt with a fire? (5, Funny)

cheesybagel (670288) | about 6 months ago | (#46166373)

Kewl.

Re:So they eliminated their debt with a fire? (5, Insightful)

ShanghaiBill (739463) | about 6 months ago | (#46166611)

The obvious question is: Cui bono? Do any of Kirchner's henchmen have a gasoline odor on their hands?

Re:So they eliminated their debt with a fire? (2, Interesting)

It's more like Shell having the gasoline in their hands, if any of the accusations of the Argentinian government are true, since it seems Shell is trying to destabilize the Argentinian economy, they raised the price of gasoline 12% and have made some speculative monetary moves that are devaluating the Argentinian peso lately.

Re:So they eliminated their debt with a fire? (1)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 6 months ago | (#46166921)

People's debts to the bank or the bank's debts to others? The foreign banks that are owed money by Argentina still have all of their records.

Re:So they eliminated their debt with a fire? (4, Funny)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46166923)

Is it wrong that when I hear about some strange calamity befalling a leftist leader in South American that I immediately think "CIA"?

Nah, those guys are pretty honest and good-hearted. I can't see them doing anything nasty in South America.

Classic Slashdot (4, Interesting)

dknj (441802) | about 6 months ago | (#46166383)

This is off topic, but I'm getting a warning at the top of Slashdot that classic is going to be going away soon (looks like in 4 months).

How many readers are going to leave if they cut it off slashdot classic completely?

Re:Classic Slashdot (5, Interesting)

Chris Mattern (191822) | about 6 months ago | (#46166403)

I'll probably be gone.

Re: Classic Slashdot (2, Funny)

Just need fire to destroy all data then you won't have to be gone....

There's no default title in a reply in slashdot be (5, Informative)

I'm masochistically viewing this story in slashdot beta. It's horrible.

A few replies down a tree, and comments are squished into a bar about 1/16 the width of the screen. Half of the left-hand side is taken up with whitespace and vertical rules, the right-hand side is taken up with ads.

The comment threshold system is fundamentally broken.
There's a stupid ever-present menubar at the top of the page.
The fucking 'dept' joke is *below* the summary, not above it. Why? Who the hell knows.

I'm pissed, because I've been coming to this site since 1998, I like the community, and I fear that a good chunk of the regulars will leave if Beta is really forced on us.

Re:There's no default title in a reply in slashdot (5, Insightful)

epyT-R (613989) | about 6 months ago | (#46166737)

My big issue with it is the crazy amounts of wasted whitespace. This is a trend in site layout that needs to die.

Re:There's no default title in a reply in slashdot (4, Funny)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46166957)

Maybe Dice has wisely realized that we're all really coming to Slashdot for the wonderful summaries and ads, not the comments.

Re:There's no default title in a reply in slashdot (4, Insightful)

wile_e8 (958263) | about 6 months ago | (#46166983)

The comment threshold system is fundamentally broken.

This is the part that kills me. As far as I can tell, there is no way to expand/view the parents or children of highly-moderated posts without viewing at -1, at which point the highly-moderated posts get lost in the noise. Lots of "Funny" replies where I can't even open the parent post to get the context of the joke.

Classic Slashdot (2)

EvilSS (557649) | about 6 months ago | (#46166431)

Re:Classic Slashdot (4, Funny)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46166981)

That's half of what's left!!

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

Scotch42 (1120577) | about 6 months ago | (#46167101)

I guess I will...
I know! this a totaly unuseful comment but an opinion.
I usually don't comment here but lurk at least twice a day for more than two years before registering.
I guess I will have to find another site where I can find news for nerds and stuff that matters...

Re:Classic Slashdot (4, Insightful)

NoNonAlphaCharsHere (2201864) | about 6 months ago | (#46166435)

Beta can lick my salty balls. If slashdot classic (read marginally usable slashdot, as opposed to this COMPLETELY unusable beta crap) goes away, I'm gone too.

Re:Classic Slashdot (4, Insightful)

larry bagina (561269) | about 6 months ago | (#46166443)

I've been coming here less and less because the stories are no longer interesting. A shitty redesign might be the final nail in the coffin. Pick a couple subreddits you like and enjoy.

Re:Classic Slashdot (5, Insightful)

gaudior (113467) | about 6 months ago | (#46166845)

You are complaining about crappy stories and shitty web design, and then recommending Reddit as an alternative?

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

Re:Classic Slashdot (4, Insightful)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46166999)

I really wish someone with a big-name reputation in the geek community would do a Slashdot fork.

I'm trying to reply from the beta (4, Interesting)

bmajik (96670) | about 6 months ago | (#46166465)

have you left any constructive comments in the Slashdot "blog" threads? That appears to be the official avenue by which they claim to want feedback, so duplicate your efforts over there.

I too am a classic user, and I don't much care for the beta interface. I left comments indicating what I wanted the UI to do that it wasn't currently doing, and why I still use the classic mode.

Re:I'm thought about trying to reply from the beta (4, Interesting)

BeerCat (685972) | about 6 months ago | (#46166637)

I looked at the beta, and thought "I'll give it a go"

And then found the large default font, the lack of auto-copying the OP subject and the general "messiness" of it all too painful.

Just as well I had the classic in another tab...

Survey response (5, Informative)

Okian Warrior (537106) | about 6 months ago | (#46166743)

The survey [surveymonkey.com] asks:

What do you like the most about Slashdot Beta?

My response: "It encourages me to find and read new sites."

Re:Survey response (2)

NoNonAlphaCharsHere (2201864) | about 6 months ago | (#46167027)

Once you've filled it out, you can't go back, you get redirected to the beta front page. There were several "WTF does that mean???" questions that REQUIRED yes/no answers. Even the QUESTIONS about the beta site suck.

Re:Classic Slashdot (5, Interesting)

Alkivar (25833) | about 6 months ago | (#46166521)

I've been coming to /. since before you had to register to comment.
This is the first design change that has actually made me consider leaving.

Re:Classic Slashdot (2)

Fluffeh (1273756) | about 6 months ago | (#46166663)

Erm, you don't have to register to comment. That Anon Coward isn't just a funny nick you know? :P

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

Yeah, but all the post I make as anon always seem to not be there a few hours later. And yes, I'm browsing at -1.

Re:Classic Slashdot (1, Funny)

No, dude. I'm totally logged-in. I think my password got leaked a little while ago, though...

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

ZahrGnosis (66741) | about 6 months ago | (#46166529)

I'm sure I'll keep the newsfeed in my rss for a while, but the beta comment section sucks, so I expect I won't last long as a regular visitor. Unless of course they fix it.

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

ZahrGnosis (66741) | about 6 months ago | (#46166565)

Ob-On-Topic Follow up... off site backups are BACKUPS... if you archive something off of your production systems (say, because it's outdated), you once again need TWO COPIES (like beta and classic Slashdot!). Putting an entire country's banking records in one place seems like an awful bad idea whatever that place is.

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

The front page sucks too. It's the same content spread out over 1.5 times the page length.

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

I'll go with it. As others have said, as bad as the "classic" interface is, it's still better then the "new coke" interface.

Re: Classic Slashdot (5, Interesting)

jafac (1449) | about 6 months ago | (#46166559)

4-digit UID here.
Don't like the beta one bit.
Get off my lawn.

Re: Classic Slashdot (3, Funny)

cyberchondriac (456626) | about 6 months ago | (#46166659)

Whoa, I don't think ever seen that low a UID here before.. or I just never noticed. I thought you had all died out by now.
Why not tie a bunch of balloons to your house and float it on over to Argentina. Their banks are getting a fresh new start, mortgages should be cheap.

Re: Classic Slashdot (4, Funny)

mythosaz (572040) | about 6 months ago | (#46166857)

Much like anything else on the internet, if you want to see something done, just announce loudly that it's not possible.

There are no THREE DIGIT ID posters left on Slashdot

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

taco must be turning in his grave

Business majors (5, Interesting)

Okian Warrior (537106) | about 6 months ago | (#46166619)

McDonalds notes that the best people to own franchises are farmers, because they follow instructions to the letter. Since the McDonalds franchise model has been honed to perfection, the farmer-owned franchise is a guaranteed success.

The worst franchise owners are MBAs. They want to make changes, to do things "better", and this never works out in practice. The franchise instructions do things in specific ways for a reason, all the bugs have been worked out, and the franchise model really is the best way.

Slashdot is run by MBAs, they won't listen to us. They know better, because they are, like, business majors... ya know?

The biggest mistake MBAs make is thinking that management/administration is a plug-in skill - you can move to a different business and manage it without knowing the ins and outs of the business.

Any MBA can become a middle manager in, for example, a newspaper without knowing the newspaper business. It's all about managing people, getting projects done on time, and being a buffer between management and workers.

Any MBA can manage Slashdot, you only need to survey the landscape and implement all the features that make other news sites great.

Being like other sites will make Slashdot even greater!

Let me get this straight.... (2)

rts008 (812749) | about 6 months ago | (#46166851)

So, you're saying Slashdot should be run farmers?
*unhitches mules from plow*

I'm on my way!

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

They should just offer CSS "skins" that allow you to use this style, ponies, whatever.

I've found a test of the New Slashdot (2, Funny)

Re:I've found a test of the New Slashdot (0)

Oh man....
That's nasty.

I frankly can't tell what's worse, Beta or that one.

Re:Classic Slashdot (3, Insightful)

I was going to leave feedback, but their link took me into third party site hell (nice going guys).

The redesign is a bad idea. What makes the classic design work is the same thing that makes Craigslist work - there's a maximum of readable poop per area of screen real estate. We don't need large, flashy fonts, big catchy icons, etc if that means fewer stories or shorter summaries on a page. That's how you get into the "we made the site look so good that everyone left" syndrome.

Microsoft's Windows 8 designers had a similar idea; you'll notice that Windows 7 is still doing a brisk business.

Re:Classic Slashdot (3, Interesting)

lgw (121541) | about 6 months ago | (#46166709)

I'm likely to. I'm thinking of changing my signature to "If Hitler were also a pedophile, he'd still be better than Slashdot Beta". But maybe beta will improve?

Re:Classic Slashdot (4, Insightful)

Racemaniac (1099281) | about 6 months ago | (#46166749)

i've got the feeling the beta slashdot was designed by someone who makes websites for the elderly

huge fonts, extra pictures, tons of whitespace everywhere >__
it might be decent for a mobile version, but not for desktops, we're not reading this on 8" screens

Re:I am going to neowin.net (1)

Billly Gates (198444) | about 6 months ago | (#46166819)

At least at Neowin.net I gut totally unbiased news about all that is linux and all that is bad from Microsoft. I mean wouldn't you see the appeal?

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

Kozar_The_Malignant (738483) | about 6 months ago | (#46166847)

My desktop machine can boot into three different operating systems; I switch between Gnome, Unity, and KDE in Linux depending on need; I instinctively use keyboard shortcuts in vi, ed, pico, WordStar, Word Perfect, and MS Word; but I'm having a major freakout because a particular website is changing its format? Excuse me? When did techies become so change averse? Sheesh! Change happens. Embrace it.

Re:Classic Slashdot (5, Insightful)

MarcoAtWork (28889) | about 6 months ago | (#46166943)

change happens, sure, but when change is for the worse should we really embrace it? There is no shortage of news sites on the internet, I think the majority of old users like myself still come here for the comments/discussion, and if a redesign makes the comment section less usable and so causes people to leave, what's left then?

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

0123456 (636235) | about 6 months ago | (#46166967)

When did techies become so change averse? Sheesh! Change happens. Embrace it.

Why should we embrace change for the sake of change? Most change in the IT world over the last few years has been makework at best and awful at worst.

Techies want something better, not something that changed just because.

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

I don't mind reasonable change. Beta is an unreasonable change. Slashdot will dry up and blow away if Beta doesn't turn out to be the most elaborate April Fools joke ever.

Re:Classic Slashdot (2)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46167087)

Good change = good
Bad change != good

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

I'll be gone. Lots of us AC's will be.

I will leave (0)

I will stop using slashdot if they force the horrible beta shit on me.

btw, how can I prevent the horrible redirect to beta thing that happens randomly?
the normal setting in firefox doesn't bite on this it seems. I'm getting sick of have to go edit the address to remove the beta. all the time. Are there a firefox extension that can prevent the redirection so I can just press reload instead? or ideally that reloads automatically if the to beta -redirect comes.

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

Wait, people read /. in browsers? why? /me gets nothin but the facts in his RSS reader. Don't need none of that crazy css crap :)

Re:Classic Slashdot (0)

I'll probably be headed out too. Been on /. since the '90s, but there are major UI issues with things like basic posting. I am wanting content, which /. is one of the few sites that offers it. If I want fluff or cat pictures, there is always Buzzfeed or upworthy.

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

FatdogHaiku (978357) | about 6 months ago | (#46166979)

Unless the beta improves, I have other ways to get old news...

Re:Classic Slashdot (1)

BronsCon (927697) | about 6 months ago | (#46167097)

I'll be out.

Wasn't this a movie with Emelio Estevez? (1)

Gothmolly (148874) | about 6 months ago | (#46166425)

Like he was some kind of Robin Hood figure who was trying to give time to people to catch up on their mortgages? And he ends up shot and crying in a failed bank heist or something?

Re:Wasn't this a movie with Emelio Estevez? (1)

GodfatherofSoul (174979) | about 6 months ago | (#46166605)

Don't know that movie, but it was definitely the like the last act of Fight Club.

Re:Wasn't this a movie with Emelio Estevez? (1)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 6 months ago | (#46166895)

I love Fight Club but I hate that last scene. My old roommate was a data librarian for Eli Lilly. They had multiple copies of their data backed up at locations around the country, including one vault at the bottom of a old mine. Even a nuclear war would not destroy their data. I have to imagine that banks use a similar system.

Re:Wasn't this a movie with Emelio Estevez? (1)

TWiTfan (2887093) | about 6 months ago | (#46167145)

Wisdom [wikipedia.org]

One of the last great Brat Pack movies.

Some far reaching implications... (1)

Syhra (1089779) | about 6 months ago | (#46166445)

Like how exactly does a mountain made of iron burn?

Re:Some far reaching implications... (4, Informative)

Iron burns as follows:

4Fe(s) + 3O2(g) -> 2Fe2O3(s)

Re:Some far reaching implications... (1)

aix tom (902140) | about 6 months ago | (#46166711)

And it looks real pretty [thenakedscientists.com] , too, when it burns.

Although that's not a mountain, just wool. But, when you thing about it, a lump of wool sometimes just looks like the "cloud" that just burned up here.

Re:Some far reaching implications... (1)

Kozar_The_Malignant (738483) | about 6 months ago | (#46166889)

This can be nicely demonstrated with a kitchen match and some steel wool.

So where are the US bank records stored? (1)

Just wondering. No reason.

Re:So where are the US bank records stored? (0)

I bet the NSA has a copy.

Re:So where are the US bank records stored? (0)

I can imagine how well that would work if the banks lost their data and had to get it back through the NSA - a random 60% would be blacked out properly "for national security reasons", with another 20% replaced with [REDACTED].

Re:So where are the US bank records stored? (1)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 6 months ago | (#46166947)

In offline bunkers guarded by men with machine guns.

Offsite copies (5, Funny)

Rob_Bryerton (606093) | about 6 months ago | (#46166457)

Well, hopefully that Iron Mountain facility was storing their backups offsite at a safe, secure location.

Re:Offsite copies (0)

those were physical, paper files, not digital records.

Re:Offsite copies (1)

JustinKSU (517405) | about 6 months ago | (#46167063)

Someone needs a sarcasm detector.

And nothing of VALUE lost! (0)

Don't cry for nothing of VALUE Argentina!

Hmmm.... (3, Interesting)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 6 months ago | (#46166475)

Argentina having an economic crisis... Making impotent threats over the Falklands didn't work, let's try burning all the bank records.

Re:Hmmm.... (-1)

Sounds like Jewish lightning to me too.

Re:Hmmm.... (3, Insightful)

lgw (121541) | about 6 months ago | (#46166767)

When that many failsafes all fail (and Iron Mountain certainly takes this sort of stuff seriously), it's pretty clearly an "accident" not an accident.

Re:Hmmm.... (5, Informative)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 6 months ago | (#46167135)

Yea, if any of you haven't been in one of these data centers, the sear improbability of this kind of fire is staggering.

The rooms are usually kept so cold you need a jacket.
There are firewalls everywhere (and I mean the physical kind)
They have sprinkler systems in the looses sense of the term, They more likely dump CO2 to avoid damaging the equipment.
If all else fails the room seal and Halon dumps (or one of its alternatives) making combustion almost completely impossible.

The only way I could see it happening is if things were shut down for a test or something...
or some neighboring building that was much larger exploded or something.

Re:Hmmm.... (0)

You forgot Cristina's little "health problem".

Have to ask... (4, Funny)

GameMaster (148118) | about 6 months ago | (#46166491)

I know it's horrible that some first responders died in this, but I have to ask if anyone's looked to see if there have been any new hand-crafted soap manufacturers and/or liposuction clinic thefts in the area lately...

Re:Have to ask... (0)

I don't know, except to say that 1) yes, it's horrible and 2) no, you didn't have to ask.

Confessions Of an Ex-SLASHDOT BETA user (2, Informative)

Day 1: It wouldn't stop, the redirecting. At first I thought it was malware. Had my first drink in a long time.

Day 2: Barely had the strength to carry on as the BETA REDIRECTIONS continue.. trying not to talk to hallucinations at the bar and in the bathroom which laugh at me about these redirections.

Day 3: Discovered the BETA redirections were random, and while at first they looked somewhat usable, when I looked at me and my monitor screen in the mirror, a horrible woman with flesh hanging off of her body looked back, trying to lead me into a dance as the word BETA appeared across her rancid breasts.

Day 4: These BETA corridors go on FOREVER! On the plus side, I've taken up disassembling vehicles to corner this BETA beast and sacrifice myself rather than lead others to discovering it. I ate some red snow.

Day 5: Finding it harder to concentrate. I've ate some more of the red snow. The taste is starting to grow on me.

Day 6: This typewriter is the only entertainment I have, apart from throwing things at the walls, trying to get some response from the BETA which is now taking over my mind.

Day 7: Hahahahahha! Would you believe it? I'M STILL BEING REDIRECTED TO SLASHDOT BETA PAGES! AHAHhahahaah! Type, type, ding, ding! Wooo!

Day 8: The hallucinations are actually real! Would you believe it? They have offered to help me if I agree to work for them. I'm thinking about patenting this delicious red snow, the taste is unreal!

Day 9: Having black out sessions where I cannot remember large passings of time. Found some makeup, thought I'd paint a joker smile on my face to amuse the people only I can see!

Day 10: Productive today, part of what I wrote for my new screenplay:

I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slashdot BETA!
I cannot opt out of Slas

(drops of blood on paper)

Amazing (1)

cold fjord (826450) | about 6 months ago | (#46166513)

It's hard to believe this wasn't arson if that facility was like the Iron Mountain facility I've seen.

I wonder why the fire suppression system wasn't able to stop it?

Re:Amazing (0)

Of course it is arson. This is Argentina.

Re:Amazing (1)

lgw (121541) | about 6 months ago | (#46166853)

A fire suppression system wouldn't stop military incendiaries. You can't really put out thermite, for example (don't throw your burning thermite in the swimming pool, it will merely burn through the concrete at the bottom and crack the pool). A similar explanation would cover the nearby fire fighting team. If Iron Mountain has the same warehouse standards worldwide (I think they do), Hanlon's razor doesn't cover this fire, I don't think.

Re:Amazing (1)

FuegoFuerte (247200) | about 6 months ago | (#46167119)

Could have been an inside job and someone disabled it?

Sherlock... (1)

ExXter (1361251) | about 6 months ago | (#46166519)

...would say "Sorry but this is boring....too easy, too obvious, too undetectiv..." and I personally agree. If the headline doesn't already smell like fish, then the rest of the article makes it a batch of whales stranded in cuba with tobacco pipes in their nostriles. Who knows what debt they wanted to cover up or who is the looser behind all the lost "recordings of transactions"... I feel sad for the families of the first-responders who probably won't receive anything besides a wet, stinking and cold handshake for the valour of their relatives.

Data in the cloud (0)

Problem with data in the cloud and clouds in general, they get hot, they disappear....

Give me old fashion clay tablets.... at least they are somewhat fire proof...

Neither surprising nor far (3, Interesting)

michaelmalak (91262) | about 6 months ago | (#46166591)

The linked WSJ story says that a creditor to Argentina was seeking the bank records related to the country's 2001 default. That is neither far-reaching nor surprising.

HD wallpapers (-1, Troll)

bilal0021 (3526949) | about 6 months ago | (#46166593)

HD latest wallpapers go to wallpapers [blogspot.com]

outsourcing your data (1)

datapharmer (1099455) | about 6 months ago | (#46166633)

And this is why you should always outsource your data backup and security. 3rd parties are way more experienced and equipped at losing your data than you ever could be! It's like the cloud, but for paper records and tape backups!

Re:outsourcing your data (1)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 6 months ago | (#46166987)

A good third party cloud service will be able to have one building burn to the ground with no interruption in service.

yay for backups, regards to the perished. (1)

sl4shd0rk (755837) | about 6 months ago | (#46166673)

Any company that could have "far reaching implications" will have implemented a stellar disaster recovery plan and a rock-star off-site archive solution. The money they spent on their DR plan will really pay off here.

the first rule of fires at Iron Mountain is: (1)

callmetheraven (711291) | about 6 months ago | (#46166781)

Suspected arsonist: Tyler Durden.

Fireproof NAS (1)

Billly Gates (198444) | about 6 months ago | (#46166797)

You know Fireproof NAS does exist [youtube.com] for when you absolutely can not lose your data. Sure the units are melted and cooked away, but the hard disks within are perfectly retrievable.

Isn't there a safe there too where the computer room is as another layer of security.

Level 5 (1)

medv4380 (1604309) | about 6 months ago | (#46166801)

So why weren't the "important" bank records held in a Tier 4 or Level 5 data center?

Yay!! (1)

benjfowler (239527) | about 6 months ago | (#46166811)

How do you say "DEBT JUBILEE!!!" in Spanish?

Multi-tiered backup strategy (4, Insightful)

Guspaz (556486) | about 6 months ago | (#46166835)

Allow me to stress the importance of a multi-tiered backup strategy. The loss of any individual tier should not result in the loss of any data...

We're not exactly fanatical about our backups, but we still go for a three tiered strategy for our live systems: on-system (like nightly SQL dumps), off-system (nightly disk images stored in the datacentre), and off-site (nightly incremental rsync-based backups). The failure of any one of those backup tiers wouldn't be an issue...

I don't see why archival storage should be much different. You should have at least two copies of everything in different locations, on-site and off-site. Basically, if you're shoving archival data in a third-party facility like this, you have no backups of your archives...

Just ask the NSA... (3, Funny)

WoodstockJeff (568111) | about 6 months ago | (#46166865)

... to copy their backup of the data...

Not to worry. . . (0)

. . . Bitcoin user not affected!

Off-site data duplication! (1)

Mattsson (105422) | about 6 months ago | (#46167013)

This is why you should have off-site data duplication.

I've seen this one before (5, Funny)

C3ntaur (642283) | about 6 months ago | (#46167037)

This seems to be the standard way to make inconvenient records disappear. http://youtu.be/hZEvA8BCoBw [youtu.be]

Backup (0)

If you move your data from onsite to offsite but it is still the sole copy of the data THAT IS NOT A BACKUP.

Backups must exist in multiple locations. Good backups exist in different locations that have disparate disaster risks (IE: If a hurricane knocks out the datacenter in Virginia, then there is a good chance that it will probably hit the ones in Maryland too).

or Connect with...

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.