Commenters To Dropbox CEO: Houston, We Have a Problem

timothy posted about 4 months ago | from the don't-worry-we'll-only-look-at-the-secrets dept.

Businesses 448

theodp (442580) writes "On Friday, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston sought to quell the uproar over the appointment of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to the company's board of directors, promising in a blog post that Rice's appointment won't change its stance on privacy. More interesting than Houston's brief blog post on the method-behind-its-Condi-madness (which Dave Winer perhaps better explained a day earlier) is the firestorm in the ever-growing hundreds of comments that follow. So will Dropbox be swayed by the anti-Condi crowd ("If you do not eliminate Rice from your board you lose my business") or stand its ground, heartened by pro-Condi comments ("Good on ya, DB. You have my continued business and even greater admiration")? One imagines that Bush White House experience has left Condi pretty thick-skinned, and IPO riches are presumably on the horizon, but is falling on her "resignation sword" — a la Brendan Eich — out of the question for Condi?"

And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resums. (0, Flamebait)

Oligonicella (659917) | about 4 months ago | (#46732773)

Same intolerant crap.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (5, Insightful)

ShanghaiBill (739463) | about 4 months ago | (#46732825)

Same intolerant crap.

There are some things that shouldn't be tolerated. War mongering is one of them. Thousands of American families lost a son, brother, or husband in a pointless counter-productive war because of this woman's lies and incompetence. The number of Iraqi families affected is a hundred times higher.

Dropbox has the right to have her on their board. I have the right to speak my mind, and take my business elsewhere.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (-1)

Yes, and you should smear yourself in their blood and misery to further your cause, to represent your moral superiority, to tell the whole world how you are better!

When actually, you are no better than the politicians who wrap themselves in the flag to win an election.
If fact, you are worse because you are a blood-thirsty ghoul -- and just as bad as these "war mongers" since you drink the blood of the fallen with delight.

When did you give encouragement to the survivors? Or spend a thin dime to help them?

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (0, Interesting)

What a bunch of BS.

Not punishing war mongers who are financially rewarded by their actions that affects the life of millions is so immoral that I cannot fathom how you dare requiring any additional action.

You have absolutely no morals.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (3, Insightful)

cheekyboy (598084) | about 4 months ago | (#46732991)

What i dont like is late comers to companies that get IPO, and then these get millions, ahead of the hardworking coders who started there from day 0.

I dont mind her there, but if the company IPOs for billions, she should not get a cent, as I cannot see anything she can contribute that would add to the book value or earnings values. /*

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (1, Insightful)

Eh, since everybody on the left did it to me for not voting for Obama, I'm going to do it to you.

YOU'RE A RACIST!!!!!!!

You're against a black person, so no matter what you're other qualms are, and whether or not they're valid, you're racists!

*that's sarcastic in case you can't tell, but hopefully it'll help point out that the left needs to lay off the racist card so hard*

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (3, Insightful)

She should be tried in the Hague tribunal for war crimes instead.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (0)

And so anyone from the Obama administration should suffer the same fate due to their support of the war in Afghanistan?

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (1)

fnj (64210) | about 4 months ago | (#46733151)

Absolutely right. And I have the right to call you on it, you racist mysogynist dictator lover.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (0, Troll)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46732841)

Sounds like the same thing they did to the mozilla CEO. When will these loser knock this shit off? I dont like the woman either but there are other reasons to fault dropbox without bringing her into it

Or perhaps we should take a page out of their playbook? why are they woman hating??? and shes black??? RACISTS!!!! You know thats what would be happening if the politics were the other way around

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (2, Insightful)

Yes; it's the same thing. The primary job of a member of the board is to be responsible to and represent the company to people outside the company. People are saying "either this is a bad person for the job or I don't like how Dropbox wants to be represented". Now Dropbox has to make a choice. Is Condi the person they want to represent them? Is Condi's image how they want to be. If yes, then she is the right person and if so then those other people should take their business where they want to.

I find it interesting that you are explicitly proposing lying. You know that these things aren't true yet it's more important to you to win than to think about what's right.

How about discussing some actual issues. How about something worthwhile like "condi may have been batshit crazy about invading Iraq, but at least if we had her we wouldn't have this Obama idiot handing over Ukraine to the Russians without even as much as a trade blockade".

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (0, Flamebait)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46732949)

I am not calling for people to do that, my side tends to be better than that. I was simply pointing out what those do all the time with that statement. They like to accuse the other side of being racist and waging a war on women, and now they are trying to railroad a woman of color? You know damn well if this was a liberal woman, and the conservatives were doing this al sharpton would be all over the place screaming at the top of his lungs how Conservative hate women and are racists. I was pointing out the cry baby antics of those who want to see everything they dont like destroyed rather than just allowing them to do what they want

As i said in the previous article on the the mozilla CEO, I have no issue with boycotts, Hell I dont go to walmart or starbucks, I dont use ebay, and I tell my friends that I dont and my reasons. But there is a big difference between that, and activly trying to force someone out of a job as they did with mozilla, and want to do here.

Icant lie, id laugh if she did get firresign, but it doesnt make it the right thing to do

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (5, Insightful)

gnoshi (314933) | about 4 months ago | (#46733053)

Well ganjadude. May I call you ganjadude? I imagine that is what your friends on 'your side' call you, right? 'ganjadude' sounds like that kind of a name.

You're assuming that the people who are angry about the appointment of Rice to this role are the same people who were angry about the Eich being given the CEO position at Mozilla.
You're also roughly stating that because there are other reasons to dislike Dropbox, it is inappropriate to complain about their choice of someone who has historically be pro-surveillance and supportive of state-sanctioned torture (in certain contexts, like the state doing the torturing for the US). I isn't really 'inappropriate' to complain about both the color and performance of a car, and likewise I don't think that disliking some other attribute of Dropbox reasonably precludes me complaining about their choice of board members.

I didn't much like the way that Eich was attacked for his support of Prop 8, even though I didn't agree with Prop 8. Eich's views on same-sex marriage really don't relate Mozilla (I don't think), and they don't really make him a bad or nasty person either - at least, not themselves without knowing the reasoning behind them.
That Rice previously demonstrated support of intensive surveillance by government does directly relate to Dropbox. I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to criticise. I think that her support of torture and extraordinary rendition makes her an unpleasant person, but I'm not sure that so much relates to her role at Dropbox.

Your obsession with what 'they' do, those dirty liberals, is slightly bizarre and makes you sound like a crazy person. Also, you're presenting a weak caricature of liberals and then pretending it is reality. That doesn't make you sound clever, or steadfast in your role as an opponent of liberals. It makes you sound like someone who is to polarized to be able to think straight.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (0)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46733159)

I see what you are saying, and I was using hyperbole intentionally, I would wager there is a large cross section who are angry with her who were also against Eich.

I only brought in the bit about other reasons to dislike dropbox as a side note, i didnt put much behind it, and my point wasnt so much that because of XX we shouldnt criticize YY, thats a bad way to do things but I can see how it looked that way

My only point here is that she is no longer in government, should her life be ruined over the fact that she made some mistakes while in government? Should clinton be banned from working based on her handling of benghazi? or her support of drone use?? of course not and no one would say such a thing. but this is a conservative woman, the rules dont seem to apply there.

I was simply pointing out the huge double standard that exists today and has for quite some time. Say something about a college student demanding free rubbers?? sexcist!! Call sarah palin whore? get a TV show on MSNBC.

The double standard is very evident to anyone who is not blinded by republican/democrat

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (1)

my side tends to be better than that
No need to read past this point. I have no idea what 'your side' is, but I can guarantee that you are suffering from confirmation bias.

It's Black folk who HATE Condi Rice. (2, Informative)

leftie (667677) | about 4 months ago | (#46733197)

Condi Rice is as black as Barack Obama's corporate lawyer wife. Condi Rice is utterly detested by her fellow black folks for going on a NYC Ferragamo shoe shopping spree and catching a Broadway Musical Comedy, Spamalot, quite literally as Hurricane Katrina came ashore in New Orleans and her brothers and sisters were fighting for their lives. Quite literally fiddling while Rome burned. You forgot, huh? Here's snopes.com to reminds you...

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/... [snopes.com]

"...That evening, upon arriving at the Palace Hotel, I flipped on the television. Indeed, the hurricane had hit New Orleans. I called Henrietta, who said that the main issue was making sure our people were safe. She'd also convened a departmental task force because offers of foreign assistance were pouring in. I called Secretary of Homeland Security Mike Chertoff, inquiring if there was anything I could do. "It’s pretty bad," he said. We discussed the question of foreign help briefly, but Mike was clearly in a hurry. He said he'd call if he needed me. I hung up, got dressed, and went to see Spamalot.

The next morning, I went shopping at the Ferragamo shoe store down the block from my hotel, returned to the Palace, and again turned on the television. The airwaves were filled with devastating pictures from New Orleans. And the faces of most of the people in distress were black. I knew right away that I should never have left Washington."

Re:It's Black folk who HATE Condi Rice. (-1)

The National secruirty advisor should be worried about hurricanes in LA?

I feel your real reason for hating her is you hate women in power, specifically BLACK women in power. You make up false arguments to cover your tracks, but I can clearly hear your "dog whistle" of racist comments. What chapter of the KKK are you a member of?

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (-1)

Really? Because I think it's interesting that you're trying to make yourself look dignified when you know full well that the left does this constantly. You didn't vote for Obama, YOU'RE A RACIST!!! You don't support abortion because you think it's murdering babies, YOU'RE ANTI-WOMEN!!!!

The GP wasn't proposing lying, he was calling out the left that these are the exact tactics that people like you use. Regularly. We're hoping that you see the hypocrisy of you're own views. But clearly with this response, that seems to be a lost cause. But you'll probably stand by with the assumption that the left is more intelligent.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (5, Insightful)

jrumney (197329) | about 4 months ago | (#46733085)

The issue has nothing to do with Iraq. Nor the fact that she's a woman, or that she is Black. The real issue here is that in the wake of Snowdon's revelations about widespread surveillance of the general public by three letter government agencies, a former National Security Advisor is being appointed to the board of a widely used online storage site that has thus far managed to convince some people that it is on the side of privacy.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (2, Insightful)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46733177)

The issue has nothing to do with gitmo. Nor the fact that he's a man, or that he is Black. The real issue here is the massive deficit that we now have, that was called unamerican when it was half as big, also the issues we have with drone warefare on americans without trial, and also obamacare

Yet We get called racists for that statement I just made all the time....

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (3, Funny)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 months ago | (#46733061)

Right! To be fair, it's really hard someone to find someone for your board of directors who isn't a war criminal.

The choice was between Condoleeza Rice and Slobodan Milosevic and he backed out due to health reasons. I understand they sent feelers out to Joseph Kony, but he thought they were children's arms, so he cut them off.

Welcome Condi! Maybe a little more money will help you sleep at night, because you're looking a little tired, girl.

Board of directors (3, Interesting)

The text book reason to put someone on the Board of Directors of a company is for their expertise in the business. She has NONE.

Condie Rice is a bureaucrat - a shitty one at that.

She is there for one reason - connections.

If you or I had a job history like her's, we would be unemployable. But for the ruling and CEO class, being a fuck up means nothing as long as you know the right people.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (1, Flamebait)

Sir_Sri (199544) | about 4 months ago | (#46733207)

there are other reasons to fault dropbox without bringing her into it

I would put hiring a war criminal towards the top of the list of things companies should not do.

When will these loser knock this shit off?

When she is locked in an Iraqi jail cell for the rest of her life.

All of these criminals from the Bush administration need to be blacklisted from employment with any public company and any government agency. If we can't get the government to prosecute them we should at least make clear they are unwelcome in civil society.

the mozilla CEO

The Mozilla CEO is an idiot who has demonstrated he lacks the judgment to run a public organization with a diverse staff and customer base.

Condaleezza Rice is a war criminal who should be in jail.

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (2, Insightful)

Being intolerant of bigot homophobes is crap? Being intolerant of war mongering assholes is crap?

Here's a big FUCK YOU. Some things just should not be tolerated at all. Eich and Rice deserve to be called out for their bigotry and war mongering

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (-1, Troll)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46733023)

are you really going to call a black woman a bigot?? lol the irony

Re:And the attempt to duplicate their efforts resu (2)

EvolutionInAction (2623513) | about 4 months ago | (#46733211)

... what?

Do you even know what the word means? Christ.

Ghostery (1)

LookIntoTheFuture (3480731) | about 4 months ago | (#46732775)

Ghostery blocked comments powered by Disqus.

Oh well.

First oil Tankers and now dropbox (-1)

What's next for that slag?

"won't change its stance on privacy" (0, Troll)

If you trusted Dropbox before, your an idiot.

If you think that this is going to make Dropbox less private, instead of being just another expression of the revolving door, your an idiot.

If you are annoyed about the grammar in the previous two paragraphs, your an idiot.

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (5, Funny)

CrimsonAvenger (580665) | about 4 months ago | (#46732803)

If you can't spell "you're", you're an idiot. An illiterate idiot....

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (-1, Offtopic)

I announce that I'm trolling grammar nazis in my third paragraph, yet still you bite.

You guys are fucking hilarious - thank you.

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (5, Insightful)

gnoshi (314933) | about 4 months ago | (#46733069)

Trolling grammar nazis just makes you a different kind of idiot

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (0)

if you make the mistake of calling somebody illiterate when they use poor grammar when by the letter of the definition, literacy just marks the ability to read and write, and doesn't speak to how well they do it, you're an idiot.

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (1)

MyDirtIsRed (2882529) | about 4 months ago | (#46733141)

Whoosh...

Re:"won't change its stance on privacy" (0)

And if you think being Secretary of State and being on the board of Dropbox has ANYTHING in common you're an idiot.

Any necessary action... (0)

Any necessary action should be taken to ensure the safety of the company... after all, we wouldn't want the future of DropBox to wind up being a mushroom cloud now would we?

Recycling Personalities (3, Interesting)

eyepeepackets (33477) | about 4 months ago | (#46732795)

Now George is a painter, Condi is on the board, Dick -- well, Dick is still a dick. So, are we supposed to forget or what? And forgive? Hard to do when we're still payin' the bills.

Re:Recycling Personalities (-1, Offtopic)

cold fjord (826450) | about 4 months ago | (#46732837)

People move on with their lives, maybe you should? The bills from the Obama administration will dwarf the minor fraction of debt that was from the Iraq war.

Re:Recycling Personalities (5, Informative)

ElBeano (570883) | about 4 months ago | (#46732867)

Discretionary spending under Obama has grown at the slowest rate for any president since Eisenhower. Admittedly, the sequester has played a big role in this. The annual deficit Obama largely inherited from Bush has been cut in half. Go ahead and live your delusion. Some of us, including the parent poster HAVE moved on. Will you?

Re:Recycling Personalities (1, Insightful)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46732989)

those numbers are all well and good, but when I see the deficit has damn near doubled in 6 years, when obama called that kind of debt unamerican to be a problem, as did 2006 obama.

I guess I just look at things different than most here, as I hated bush and hate obama damn near equally, I find both of them to be detrimental to the american way of life. Instead of cheerleading for one asshole over the other turd sandwich, I prefer to look at them both on their own merits, and frankly obama has been the biggest divider in american history since the civil war

Re:Recycling Personalities (2, Insightful)

sribe (304414) | about 4 months ago | (#46733131)

...but when I see the deficit has damn near doubled in 6 years...

The deficit has been reduced by more than half in 6 years. The national debt has increased greatly, because of the huge deficit which Obama inherited from Bush. But seriously, why I am wasting my breath on a fucktard who doesn't know the difference.

Re:Recycling Personalities (1)

BonThomme (239873) | about 4 months ago | (#46733187)

and when taking the bridge of an underway battleship, your first question would be "What do you mean we can't stop right here?"

that said, you probably do "look at things different from most here", but your last independent clause indicates the place where you think entirely like the others.

Re:Recycling Personalities (0)

Zontar The Mindless (9002) | about 4 months ago | (#46732959)

People move on with their lives...

Like Adolf Eichmann and Josef Mengele, you mean?

Re:Recycling Personalities (-1, Offtopic)

cold fjord (826450) | about 4 months ago | (#46733027)

Personal heroes of yours?

By the way, I hope that you are doing some traveling while you're in Sweden. If you haven't you should really take in Malmö.

Re:Recycling Personalities (1)

BonThomme (239873) | about 4 months ago | (#46733193)

well, they moved on with their deaths...

Re:Recycling Personalities (2, Informative)

sribe (304414) | about 4 months ago | (#46733101)

The amount wasted on the war due to incompetence in carrying out the occupation would easily pay for the health care for all uninsured citizens for almost a decade.

Bush got off easy (0)

People move on with their lives, maybe you should?

What, and let one of the largest proponents of the worst foreign policy decision in decades get off scott free?!?! Lyndon Johnson, and Richard Nixon have not so favorable legacies in history, in part to Vietnam. Bush has gotten off easy.

To the credit of Condi, she did not create Javascript.

Dave Winer is an Asshat (0)

Yes, it's now more important than ever for companies to communicate with the government at very high levels. However, for Dropbox (or anyone) to take on a person who, by his own admission, "played a central role in creating the surveillance state that we now find ourselves in" is beyond absurd.

Re:Dave Winer is an Asshat (0)

Yeah, important for their shareholders since they love the $$ from all those juicy gov't contracts, tax breaks, favorable laws, and favors you get when you play ball by lying in bed with Satan and contributing user info to the surveillance state.

Unless the company is run by ethical people (I'll wait for you to stop laughing). In that case the "communication" with the high levels of gov't would be telling them to fuck off and get a warrant if they want to further communicate.

The protesters should brace themselves ... (0, Troll)

cold fjord (826450) | about 4 months ago | (#46732817)

A great move on the part of DropBox, they'll get plenty of free advertising. The protesters should brace themselves for the Streisand Effect.

And no, DropBox should not give in. Ankle biting crazy comments posted on-line aren't a scientifically valid sample that would be genuine proof of a problem in the general public. A couple of posts on Leftist bitter clinger message boards would easily generate this sort of thing. It's what they do.

Re:The protesters should brace themselves ... (0)

You're just bitter because it wasn't Dick Cheney.

Re:The protesters should brace themselves ... (0)

Oh, Dropbox will certainly get lots of advertisement, but of which kind? You might be a tiny bit off if you think that every potential Dropbox customer is supportive of the war in Iraq and the torture of prisoners, both of which Rice was instrumental in bringing about. Even if every single US citizen patriotically signs up for a Dropbox account, because of the Straisand effect you mention, you still have to keep in mind that most potential customers are non-Americans, and they just might have been tempted to look elsewhere. Google Drive, for instance, has absolutely no technical drawbacks compared to Dropbox.

Re:The protesters should brace themselves ... (2)

Dan667 (564390) | about 4 months ago | (#46733183)

the Streisand Effect had a negative effect and in this case I think rice is toxic to dropbox and will also have a negative effect to their business

Again Timothy with the bullshit "stories" (0, Troll)

phayes (202222) | about 4 months ago | (#46732823)

News for nerds, stuff that matters... RIP.

Now it's whipping up mobs and abandoning it's historic readership by forcing beta on us. I've already removed /. from my rotation of news sites on my iPad due to beta being forced upon me there. Looks like I'll need to abandon /. on weekends when Timothy is active.

Re:Again Timothy with the bullshit "stories" (1)

Flentil (765056) | about 4 months ago | (#46732917)

You're really stretching to say this isn't news for nerds or stuff that matters, because it's clearly both.

Ah, 9/11 Condi (0)

If she could read memos wouldn't the twin towers have lasted a little longer? Well, if Dropbox needs that kind of help can't they just get a 1st grader?

The real question (5, Interesting)

radiumsoup (741987) | about 4 months ago | (#46732845)

The real question is, "what does she bring to the table" as a member of the Board? Does her tenure as a faculty member in the Stanford School of Business matter? What about her time as the director of the Stanford Global Center for Business and the Economy?

Re:The real question (1)

Lawrence_Bird (67278) | about 4 months ago | (#46733057)

shocking.. you mean she is not an NSA plant? I thought for sure that Rice was still on Obama's payroll alone with Cheney.

Re:The real question (1)

Simulant (528590) | about 4 months ago | (#46733095)

Because all that matters is the Dropbox stock price?

Some of us will never forgive her and so some of us will cease using Dropbox.
This is legit.

Re:The real question (1)

And what did Al Gore bring to Apple? What could he have possibly contributed to bring $100M to his bank account?

Todo list (-1)

Remove Firefox and Thunderbird. Check

Install Dropbox. Check

Re:Todo list (1)

Zontar The Mindless (9002) | about 4 months ago | (#46732973)

*gets tablet*

Install Firefox... already there.

Remove Dropbox... oh, wait, can't do that without rooting the thing.

I will not use them anymore (0)

assertation (1255714) | about 4 months ago | (#46732859)

I used them once or twice for non-private files. Glad I know this now. I don't plan to use dropbox anymore.

Re:I will not use them anymore (-1)

You're obviously a racist woman-hater.

What do these people actually do... (0)

...on boards?

I don't see how being Secretary of State even relates to running an IT business.

Re:What do these people actually do... (1)

ShanghaiBill (739463) | about 4 months ago | (#46732921)

Her connections can help them influence government regulation, and win contracts.

Drop Dropbox (1)

grub (11606) | about 4 months ago | (#46732879)

I'm a completely satisfied customer.

Re:Drop Dropbox (5, Insightful)

causality (777677) | about 4 months ago | (#46733039)

Try SpiderOak [spideroak.com] . Free 2 GB, zero-knowledge, secure. Works on a load of OSs and devices. I'm a completely satisfied customer.

Or ... get a free dynamic DNS hostname (there are still plenty available) and take a few minutes to learn about SSH/SFTP (and SSHGuard if you are using passwords) and set up your own personal file server. It doesn't have to allow shell access.

Now the companies can do whatever they want because you did the little bit of learning it took not to care.

It is an easy call for so many of us. (0, Flamebait)

sharkette66 (256044) | about 4 months ago | (#46732893)

We don't want anything to do with a corporation that has Condi on the board. We determine what we want our worlds to be like... and we don't want Condi Rice in our world. At all.

I want everything she touches to be radioactive.

She earned it.

Re: It is an easy call for so many of us. (1)

cjjjer (530715) | about 4 months ago | (#46732923)

Well if you don't want her in this world and I doubt that she is going to leave; maybe you and your cronies can leave? I mean you are soooooo.... strict in your stance and all Yeah I thought so...

Re: It is an easy call for so many of us. (1)

sharkette66 (256044) | about 4 months ago | (#46732945)

Well, no. Me and my cronies aren't going to leave, and we will continue to oppose the involvement of those with blood on their hands. Condi doesn't bring anything but the stink of torture to the table. You're sooooo welcome to her.

Re: It is an easy call for so many of us. (1)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46733009)

so you oppose obama as well right? He has just as much blood on his hands at this point, or do drones not count?

Re: It is an easy call for so many of us. (0)

Are drones torturing people? No? Then they're completely different.

Killing and torture are not the same, by any measure. The comment wasn't that she had the stink of war on her hands, it was specifically torture.

Re:It is an easy call for so many of us. (0)

It's an easy call for hypocritical so-called "tolerant" people.

Re:It is an easy call for so many of us. (1)

lonOtter (3587393) | about 4 months ago | (#46732963)

There's nothing wrong with intolerance at all, as long as it's directed at an actual problem.

Re:It is an easy call for so many of us. (1)

Other than the fact that it feeds the cycle of intolerance and as long as you continue to be intolerant of people you don't like, you feed the same in them making it worse and worse? Surely you meant that was still a problem with intolerance, right? The whole "turn the other cheek" thing in the bible. If you retaliate in kind, you feed the problem.

Or did you never stop and think about that?

Re:It is an easy call for so many of us. (0)

Nobody is talking about retaliating in kind. Retaliating in kind would be kidnapping her, taking her to a black site, and torturing her.

You're right, that would feed the problem, which is why nobody is recommending it.

Re:It is an easy call for so many of us. (0)

Her position would have very real effects on a company that is supposed to pride itself on its user privacy stance. If you actually think that taking her on board is going to improve or maintain that image, then you are a fool. Her history proves otherwise. If she at least benefitted Dropbox in some way, then maybe she could be seen as an asset instead of a liability.

Just for your information, people not wanting to do business with a company that has suddenly taken upon itself something that subverts their core goals isn't called "intolerance."

Justice (0, Troll)

gourmetbum (1193825) | about 4 months ago | (#46732951)

Whenever someone has unpopular political views we should try and get them fired from any job they get. And the same goes for their families. Hell, we should probably just steal their belongings and toss them in the streets. At a minimum, the businesses in our society should be balkanized by political beliefs, trading with and hiring only those who agree with their politics.

Re:Justice (1)

sharkette66 (256044) | about 4 months ago | (#46733007)

Yes, it was Condi's unpopular views that caused her to miss so many things, like the forged documents saying Iraq was trying to get weapons grade uranium from Africa. If she was more popular, rather than more competent, perhaps this would have shed light on the lies that led to the Iraq war.

It was just the most colossal screw up in modern history, sure, give Condi a pass, bro! Let her rehab her torture and war stained reputation on corporate boards!

Re:Justice (2, Informative)

Actually, it was Clinton's CIA man (that remained on for Bush) that said the intelligence was a "slam dunk" on WMD. The day before Bush took office, the entire world's intelligence (including Clinton's) believed Iraq had WMD. The exception of substance was Russia.

Re:Justice (5, Interesting)

Entropius (188861) | about 4 months ago | (#46733015)

This goes beyond that.

Rice directly contributed to the waste of O($1 trillion) of taxpayer money, the loss of thousands of lives, and the torture of prisoners. That should make her persona non grata to any organization that gives a damn about not wasting public money for political gain, not murdering people, and not engaging in state violation of human rights. This isn't "gave some money to a dishonest and illiberal election campaign" (Eich). This is "shit on American values and wiped with the Constitution for good measure".

That's on top of the security/espionage concerns.

If Condi Rice were the checkout clerk at Safeway I'd refuse to do business with them.

Re:Justice (1)

ganjadude (952775) | about 4 months ago | (#46733021)

.... /s???

Condi Rice is legitimate choice (1, Insightful)

voss (52565) | about 4 months ago | (#46732995)

I say that as a Democrat. I also say its legitimate to question her appointment for policy based reasons.
Brandon Eich was ousted for social policy reasons not directly tied into the day to day functioning of the board.
That was a board decision to force him to resign.

Dropbox and privacy are core to its mission. Condi Rice has served on several boards of directors including Hewlett Packard, Chevron and the Rand corporation
shes professional and experienced. Shes not going to sell dropbox out to the NSA and she brings experience with these issues to the board. She understands who shes working for and is loyal to her employer. She may be an attack dog but shes a loyal well trained attack dog and thats what dropbox sees in her.

If you dont want her appointed for past policy based reasons then thats acceptable but someone needs to take a deep breath and calm the hysteria.

Re:Condi Rice is legitimate choice (1)

sharkette66 (256044) | about 4 months ago | (#46733079)

Yeah, she's legitimate after she blames people in the "bowels" of the agency [NSA] she's a part of for her failures.

Oh, I get it... you think she's "legitimate" because other rich people like her, not because of an actual record of competence.

My mistake.

Try reading beyond the subject line (1)

voss (52565) | about 4 months ago | (#46733209)

You might actually try reading something other than the subject line. In any event you dont get appointed
to major boards because rich people like you...okay well not most board members. Most board members
of major corporations usually are recruited for some expertise they bring to the board in Condi Rices case
im guessing government and education.

board members dont make day to day decisions thats the job of the Chief Executive Officer.

If your asking what shes done competently, she was the provost of stanford and served competently on several corporate boards before this.

I don't agree with her politics but your politics are not relevant when you join a board of directors you assume a legal duty to the company.
including a duty of confidentiality and a fidiuciary duty.

Like I said I dont agree with her political decisions, I voted for Bill Clinton twice, Al Gore once and Obama twice, but the idea that Condi Rice is some sort of trojan horse in dropbox is laughable.
dropbox

Re:Condi Rice is legitimate choice (4, Interesting)

jrumney (197329) | about 4 months ago | (#46733195)

Condi Rice has served on several boards of directors including Hewlett Packard, Chevron and the Rand corporation shes professional and experienced. Shes not going to sell dropbox out to the NSA

Just because the last three companies she was on the board of did not need to be sold out, it doesn't follow that she won't sell this one out. Remember, warrantless wiretapping began on her watch. As a former National Security Advisor, her ties to the intelligence community are strong.

Hiring A War Criminal highlights something else... (3, Insightful)

netsharc (195805) | about 4 months ago | (#46733037)

Hiring a war criminal and domestic-spying person may not change Dropbox's stance on privacy, but it shows another darker side of DB, it's business-at-the-expense-of-morality side.

Did they really think, "She approved the mass snooping of private data saved online, which certainly included targeting our infrastructure to breach our customers' privacy. Oh, we won't worry about that, we need her expertise, we'll hire her!".

Then again, writing the above paragraph, what the fuck was their stance on privacy then, if hiring her didn't make them ask themselves whether they're doing the right thing?

And how exactly will Dropbox succeed in the international scene, when all the foreign companies fucking realize that they're basically in-bed with the Washington "Elite", the same people that created and supported PRISM?!?

Re:Hiring A War Criminal highlights something else (0)

I canceled my dropbox account yesterday. I don't really know how this will shake out but I hope people take action instead of trying to wait and see what happens. Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer :-(

Also (3, Insightful)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 months ago | (#46733041)

In other news, Dropbox has announced that their appointment of Joseph Goebbels to their board of directors will not change their stance on Jews.

Same if it were Hillary, right? (1)

Lawrence_Bird (67278) | about 4 months ago | (#46733049)

Would we be seeing this same faux "privacy" outrage if it were Hillary Clinton or some other person from Obama's national security team? Has not the surveillance state expanded exponentially under the current administration? Doubtful. And what exactly was Rice's "central role in creating the surveillance state"? That she, at the President's direction, authorized NSA to spy on foreign diplomats? WTF do you think intel agencies are there for? Considering her not very good relations with Darth Vader..er Dick Cheney, the man behind a lot of the worst stuff of the Bush admin. I think it grossly unfair to paint her as having a central role.

It really will be hilarious to juxtapose the silence as Obama admin security and foreign policy officials end up in similar positions over the next few years. Afterall, Kos and others have said 'not a big deal' to all the nsa stuff - but only if you have a D after your name.

Re:Same if it were Hillary, right? (0)

sharkette66 (256044) | about 4 months ago | (#46733109)

Wow, going after Hillary, that is original!

Hillary doesn't need lousy tech company board jobs to wash the blood off her hands... at least not as much blood as Condi has to wash off.

Change of tune (4, Insightful)

inhuman_4 (1294516) | about 4 months ago | (#46733087)

I find it very amusing how the tune has changed with regards to how vote with their wallet and corporate moral character.

For the longest time the argument was "Well if you don't like company x don't buy their products!". With the implication being that if you don't actually stop, then you are just a whiner or a hypocrite. But now people really are taking their business elsewhere. The actions of a company or the people that represent a company is effecting the bottom line. Yet somehow old "vote with your wallet" is no longer acceptable. Somehow judging a company based on it's moral character is an assault on free speech, maybe even down right persecution!

For a long time people (on Slashdot especially) have been warning of the dangers of putting your data in the cloud. Of the amount of personal information that can be gleaned from your web browsing habits. That that big business is cooperating with the government (willingly or not) in a massive breach of privacy. So how and can anyone be surprised that customers demand moral character from leadership of companies to whom we are handing over so much personal information?

If you had to make a choice between companies to store YOUR personal information and your choices are: Company A with Bruce Schneier on it's board of directors, and Company B with Dick Cheney on it's board of directors. Does anyone seriously think that difference shouldn't effect the decision?

I for one have no sympathy. Yes a company has every right to alienate their customers, but customers also have every right to vote with their wallets.

Re:Change of tune (0)

It is possible to vote with your wallet in this case due to "many" viable alternatives, i.e. google drive, box, rackspace, one drive etc. I can't vote with my wallet if the choice is limited to one viable, or at least one tolerable option. That is the difference.

If you do not eliminate Rice from your board you l (0)

I suspect that it is unlikely that most of the people making such boycott threats are paying subscribers.

Re:If you do not eliminate Rice from your board yo (1)

BonThomme (239873) | about 4 months ago | (#46733223)

the non-paying subscribers are the product. no one is going to invest (for long) in a company without a product.

Out of a job, out of bounds? (0)

I've seen this commented above; protest is fine until it (might) get(s) someone fired. Just think about this for a second. Would we say that same for a politician? Of course not. If someones track record is foul, people have the right to protest. A possibility of ending a job (or even career) is moot. We reap what we sow.

Here, if Condi didn't want the possibility of this happening, she shouldn't have done what she did while in government. She is a liar without any integrity. That's been proven time and time again. Just look at what she's said, then contradicted herself and how many times she's done that.

Do people really want someone like that on the board of a company where they keep their data? Do people think that her political connections are irrelevant with Dropbox operating within the US? You know, given that she's a proponent of wiretapping, etc.

In today's climate (e.g. NSA revelations) you're naive to the point of being an utter fool if you think having someone like her in a position like that is a good idea.

Extralegal Accountability (0)

These folks (Condi, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc) have apparently escaped any legal consequences for their duplicity.

Why wouldn't we hold them in contempt, disable them and willing any associates?

Why should we tolerate their crimes?

Doing so violates every notion of justice I'm familiar with.

Once again we plumb the bottomless depths of "conservative" victimhood.

Boo Hoo.

Huh? (1)

Johann Lau (1040920) | about 4 months ago | (#46733225)

For Eich, there were plenty of great reasons for him to be CEO of Mozilla, clue wise. But what does Rice have to do with anything here? Does she have some 'putar expertise she did not let on during her time of accompliceship with war profiteering?

Not to pick on just her, I wonder generally: What's with these random politicians on the boards of random corporations? Do they just get paid for having connections? Are they actually doing anything?

Sign the petition to send a message to DropBox (1)

akubot (1285646) | about 4 months ago | (#46733231)

Drop Condoleezza Rice from the DropBox Board of Directors Now - Sign the Petition!
http://chn.ge/1iExYQW [chn.ge]