iFixit Takes Apart the Oculus Rift DK2, Finds Galaxy Note 3 Display Inside

timothy posted about 3 months ago | from the wait-'til-it's-handed-out-like-earphone-on-the-plane dept.

Displays 57

An anonymous reader writes with a teardown from iFixit of the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2: "iFixit's teardown reveals lots of interesting hardware within, including 40 infrared LEDs, a well-organized motherboard, and a display panel lifted directly from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. They also took apart the IR tracking camera for good measure." The review is the usual iFixit blend of funny, concise and technical; they include a nice shot showing those IR sources embedded in the plastic of the frame. Why the straight-from-a-phone display? "This seems to make economical sense, since Oculus is working to ship something like 45,000 DK2s—a goodly number for a mid-development prototype, but certainly not enough to warrant a fully custom display."

Gonna get sued! (0)

war4peace (1628283) | about 3 months ago | (#47575481)

Just kidding. Hopefully.
It would be funny for Samsung to jump and say "hey you, copyright infringer!"

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

watcher-rv4 (2712547) | about 3 months ago | (#47575529)

You can bet they gonna do it. And lose.

Re:Gonna get sued! (2)

thevirtualcat (1071504) | about 3 months ago | (#47575605)

Doesn't Samsung manufacture their own displays? I'm pretty sure that if Samsung had any issues with them incorporating that display, they just wouldn't have sold it to them.

I suppose it's possible that they might actually be buying Note 3's and disassembling them. And I can see that possibly causing a problem for them. But I also can't imagine that being particularly economical.

"This is how you disassemble a Note 3 and get the display from it without breaking it. Any questions?"
"Nope."
"Good. Now do it forty five thousand times."

Re:Gonna get sued! (5, Informative)

Timothy Hartman (2905293) | about 3 months ago | (#47575809)

Or they are partners [engadget.com] .

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

The level of insight from the kneejerk firstposts here is blowing my mind.

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

You're stupid if you think they would disassemble something for the part, rather than ordering the part. That's like buying a new car to get a muffler for your old car.

Re:Gonna get sued! (1)

joocemann (1273720) | about 3 months ago | (#47578485)

I agree completely. Samsung likes to make money. Samsung sold displays to Oculus (facebook). Samsung got paid. ........Lawsuit about what?

Re:Gonna get sued! (1)

davester666 (731373) | about 3 months ago | (#47579661)

pay-per-image residuals.

Re:Gonna get sued! (4, Insightful)

Timothy Hartman (2905293) | about 3 months ago | (#47575537)

I doubt they would partner with them and then sue them over it.

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

Correct. Watcher-rv4 is not working out due to cluelessness. Time to scrap it and move to Watcher-rv5 to see if that one is any smarter.

Re: Gonna get sued! (1, Funny)

And then Apple sues Samsung because why the fuck not.

Re:Gonna get sued! (0, Funny)

Nah, you are thinking about Apple there. Samsung would me more like Oh good, would you like to supersize this? How about some fries with it?"

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

Sued for what, using a common piece of hardware? That's still legal.

Re:Gonna get sued! (0)

I dunno....gotta ask apple....can't have it be one of "their" shapes....

Re:Gonna get sued! (2)

Timothy Hartman (2905293) | about 3 months ago | (#47575859)

Samsung would sue if someone sold their displays with their logos on them without their consent. In this case Samsung is providing the displays for the device as part of a partnership as referenced in the fine article and even links to said partnership [cnet.com] .

A common part is a huge deal when the common part is the logo for the company. That's typically a counterfeit product.

Not a big surprise (1)

Samsung and LG both sell their TV panels to a lot of competitors to build their own sets, it's not shocking at all to hear they do the same with their mobile screens. Anyways, it's a stellar looking screen, running a commonplace resolution (1920x1080), why wouldn't they want to use it?

Re:Not a big surprise (2)

Guspaz (556486) | about 3 months ago | (#47575741)

Except in this case, Oculus and Samsung aren't operating as competitors, they have a partnership for producing VR devices? Samsung is contributing hardware to Oculus, and Oculus is contributing software to Samsung.

Re:Not a big surprise (0)

Read the article...

The screen is literately the front of a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, complete with touch screen and bezel.

I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p display (1)

Jeff Flanagan (2981883) | about 3 months ago | (#47575629)

It's disappointing to see that each eye is just 1/2 1080p because it uses a single 1080p phone display shared by both eyes.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (4, Interesting)

Guspaz (556486) | about 3 months ago | (#47575681)

Dual screens was never in the plans for any Rift, why would it be a surprise or a disappointment? The consumer version is expected to use at least a 2560x1440 display.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (2, Funny)

gstoddart (321705) | about 3 months ago | (#47575703)

Yo dawg, I hear you like specs ... I 'spec the specs for your specs aren't what you'd 'spec.

Just remember, just because the marketing department says something, doesn't mean carries the same meaning as you and I would assign to it.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (2)

Dusthead Jr. (937949) | about 3 months ago | (#47575711)

Does such a display exists? I always assumed that that's what they were doing. I can imagine that it would much more. It might be cheaper to use one small 4K display than 2 smaller 1080p ones.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (0)

The LG G3 has a 4K display. There is also a rumor that Samsung will release a version of the Galaxy S5 with a 4K display.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (1)

Jeremy Erwin (2054) | about 3 months ago | (#47577783)

It's quad HD, not 4K [lg.com]

QuadHD is 2560x1440
4K is 3840 x 2160

Ah, Marketing....

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (1)

SunnyElLoco (621085) | about 3 months ago | (#47670455)

It's not about the cost. Carmack talked about it in one QuakeCon keynote. It's much, much simpler to render two views on one screen than trying to use two physical screens.

Re:I thought that the OR2 delivered a 1080p displa (0)

It is 1080p though. There are 1080 horizontal lines running vertically per eye. It's the horizontal resolution that's split in two.

Surprise? (3, Insightful)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 3 months ago | (#47575679)

I thought that Oculus had always planned on using off-the-shelf cell phone displays. If they can keep the retail price under $300, they will sell a ton of units.

Re:Surprise? (2)

Alejux (2800513) | about 3 months ago | (#47575875)

The CV1 may be another beast all together. With FB's backing, they'll have enough resources to order custom panels from Samsung, instead of having to rely on Samsung's mobile phone products.

Surprise? (0)

My understanding is they need OLED displays because they have VERY short refresh times and Samsung is the the big player in OLED. If the refresh time is too long it results in motion sickness. That's my guess on the reason they are using Samsung displays. The real question is can they do a deal with Samsung and if not is there another display with a sufficiently short refresh times?

Re:Surprise? (2)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 3 months ago | (#47576245)

That's their claim.

I've only had my DK2 for two days but it gives me motions sickness at a very similar level to my old VFX1 (when the VFX1 was hooked to computer 4x faster than any available on it's ship date, resulting in 200fps, of course going through a 60Hz LCD display).

That said about the only software working on the DK2 is one of the roller coaster demos and breakout.

Re:Surprise? (0)

Elite Dangerous Beta works on DK2. If you are in, try it out. Everyone on Reddit with one is chomping at the bit. Massive Epeen on Occulus there (then again we all seem to be shelling out lots of cash for HOTAS anyway)

Re:Surprise? (3, Interesting)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about 3 months ago | (#47576091)

Manufacturers of high quality colour LCD/AMOLED displays will laugh at you if you ask for a custom design in quantities of less than 1,000,000. Even for the final version it will be hard for them to justify signing a contract for 1 million displays up front, not being certain of sales volume. Off-the-shelf displays are pretty much their only choice.

Re:Surprise? (0)

Microsoft barely sells a million Windows Phones of several Lumia models, are they laughed at?

Re:Surprise? (1)

Ralph Wiggam (22354) | about 3 months ago | (#47577069)

Do those phones use custom or off-the-shelf displays?

Re:Surprise? (1)

rogoshen1 (2922505) | about 3 months ago | (#47577189)

Well since the space shuttle program was cancelled; demand for the Nokia phones used as heat shield tiles has become diminished. That alone accounts for probably 80% of the Lumia models sold. So, blame NASA.

Similarly MS/Nokia is actively lobbying against gun control legislation; in an attempt to maintain demand for bullet-proof vests which utilize Nokia phones as armor plates.

Re:Surprise? (1)

drkim (1559875) | about 3 months ago | (#47577321)

Facebook bought Oculus Rift for $2Bil. I don't think they will have any problem coming up with enough capital to buy 1Mil displays @ wholesale.

Even if they don't sell 1Mil units; FB will laugh and take it as a write off.

Re:Surprise? (0)

That's why they wanted to build a phone. Facebook Phone and Occulus end up sharing the same parts.

Nah. Read the article again, they used Samsung Galaxy Note 3 front panels, complete with touch screen and bezel intact.

Got mine 2 days ago. (3, Interesting)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 3 months ago | (#47575695)

Don't let anybody tell you they fixed the pukeyness of VR with low persistence!

It's still up to the software not to make the user sick.

Re:Got mine 2 days ago. (1)

jeti (105266) | about 3 months ago | (#47576033)

And that's all that Oculus claims. According to them, you can implement experiences that make nobody sick with the DK2. The hardware is no longer to blame. But why would an experience that makes you sick in real life not make you sick when simulated?

Re:Got mine 2 days ago. (1)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 3 months ago | (#47576121)

Not what I said.

There are things that will make you sick in a VR environment that would not IRL. Because your inner ears are in synch with your eyes IRL.

My expectations aren't currently that different from my last VR headset (of almost 20 years ago). Keep up, up. Heli sims will do better then airplane. Mechwarrior will work better then descent.

Re:Got mine 2 days ago. (0)

Grammar Troll was 2/10. Lame.

Re: Got mine 2 days ago. (1)

Must suck to get sick. Happily I don't. Not even the virtual boy made me sick so if that didn't nothing will

Re: Got mine 2 days ago. (1)

HornWumpus (783565) | about 2 months ago | (#47581825)

Nothing IRL gives me motion sickness.

It's not like I can't handle Oculus games. It's just that the details matter a lot.

I could play Jane's ATF on the VFX1 well enough to escort Mothra to Monster Island. There were 2 hostiles in that IIRC.

Re:Got mine 2 days ago. (1)

QuantumPion (805098) | about 2 months ago | (#47580435)

This is very true indeed. I've had tons of fun playing flight simulators Elite Dangerous and DSC. The games where you have to move around in first person make me a little dizzy, especially when turning. I really wish there was a way to adjust the speed at which you turn, or implement some method of making walking feel more natural. Anyway, I also tried out a roller coaster demo, and that nearly made me sick after about 6 seconds. Simulator sickness, due to lack of IRL g-forces, is a very, very strange feeling

Shut up and take my money already (3, Insightful)

xtal (49134) | about 3 months ago | (#47575713)

Finish this.. I've been waiting since the iGlasses came out in 1997..

Laser retinal painting (3, Interesting)

BaronM (122102) | about 3 months ago | (#47575765)

I don't know how practical it will be, but this looks much cooler:

http://www.laserfocusworld.com... [laserfocusworld.com]

Re:Laser retinal painting (3)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 3 months ago | (#47576071)

No thanks, I don't want to attach sharks to my head.

Re:Laser retinal painting (2)

vix86 (592763) | about 3 months ago | (#47576283)

AKA the device from Snow Crash.

Was I the only one... (1)

The Grim Reefer (1162755) | about 3 months ago | (#47575773)

Was I the only one who was reminded of this battery "hack" [youtube.com] when I read the title?

Leaving the entire panel intact makes sense... (5, Interesting)

Gordo_1 (256312) | about 3 months ago | (#47576055)

The cheapest and simplest thing for Samsung to do for a relatively small run of only 45k devices is to literally lift existing pre-built screens directly off the Note 3 assembly line and hand them over to Oculus. Virtually any kind of customization, like removing the Gorilla glass or touchscreen controller would require an assembly line change and could result in a much larger production slow down. I know it's hard to believe that 'wasting' unnecessary materials is actually cheaper than removing them, but if you know anything about manufacturing you understand the enormous impact that an assembly line change can have.

No Thanks (3, Interesting)

A total of 1920x1080 for both eyes might be passable, but NOT when that 1920x1080 isn't actually 1920x1080.
The Note 3 has a pentile display - you're getting significantly reduced chroma resolution.

Re:No Thanks (1)

drkim (1559875) | about 3 months ago | (#47577353)

This version is just a DK.

Oculus is working on a 4K:

http://www.dvice.com/2013-10-2... [dvice.com]

Re:No Thanks (0)

Oculus is working on a 4K:

Better say that the phone display manufacturers are working on a 4K.. and Oculus is waiting for that to just happen like until now so far.

Re:No Thanks (1)

Gordo_1 (256312) | about 3 months ago | (#47577645)

I have one. It's fine for development work which is what it's intended for. Frankly, in practice the resolution isn't all that bad either.

Like The Google Cardboard Glasses (1)

iinventstuff (1888700) | about 3 months ago | (#47577761)

So, the Google Cardboard VR Goggles weren't so ridiculous after all (http://googlecardboardkit.com).

Re:Like The Google Cardboard Glasses (0)

Heh, so true! Just 3D print a nicer enclosure and you are done.

Re:Like The Google Cardboard Glasses (1)

q4Fry (1322209) | about 2 months ago | (#47582227)

Or buy one [shoplocket.com]

Disclaimer: I have no idea how good that aluminum case (is|will be).