Anand Lal Shimpi Retires From AnandTech

Soulskill posted about 2 months ago | from the much-respect dept.

The Media 152

An anonymous reader writes: If you've built a PC in the past 17.5 years, chances are you read some hardware reviews on AnandTech at some point. The site's creator, Anand Lal Shimpi, has announced that he is retiring from the tech writing business. He said, "AnandTech started as a site that primarily reviewed motherboards, then we added CPUs, video cards, cases, notebooks, Macs, smartphones, tablets and anything else that mattered. The site today is just as strong in coverage of new mobile devices as it is in our traditional PC component coverage ... To the millions of readers who have visited and supported me and the site over the past 17+ years, I owe you my deepest gratitude. You all enabled me to spend over half of my life learning more than I ever could have in any other position. The education I've received doing this job and the ability to serve you all with it is the most amazing gift anyone could ever ask for. You enabled me to get the education of a lifetime and I will never be able to repay you for that. Thank you."

Many a purchase was based on his quality reviews (5, Insightful)

Anands In-depth quality reviews will be missed!

Re: Many a purchase was based on his quality revie (1, Insightful)

There were some of those, and then there was a lot of WinTel shilling

Re: Many a purchase was based on his quality revie (2, Funny)

iamhassi (659463) | about a month ago | (#47795703)

Anand is a jerk. He once emailed my boss complaining I was posting too much on his forums. I called his mom. She's a nice woman and had no idea Anand was emailing people's bosses trying to get them fired.

And now visit his new site (0)

Anandretro. It's like the old site, but reviews products for living without technology.

First up? The common lever.

Re:And now visit his new site (0)

Ah, yes, one of the four fundamental machines, along with the inclined plane, the screw, and the four-way set associative cache.

Re: And now visit his new site (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795101)

The screw is an implementation of the inclined plane.

Impressive (4, Interesting)

The Raven (30575) | about 2 months ago | (#47793871)

Anand's consistent dedication to accurate and objective review metrics, as well as his crusade to put an SSD in every home computer, are both laudable. I hope the site will maintain the same lofty ideals without him at the helm.

Re:Impressive (0, Offtopic)

wisnoskij (1206448) | about 2 months ago | (#47793909)

I do not understand. Why would trying to sell people things they do not need, SSDs, be laudable?

Re:Impressive (-1)

yeah, tube transistors work just fine.

what a jerk.

Re:Impressive (1)

That might be a semi-valid comparison if tubes were much cheaper to use for the same number of circuits. $130 for 1.5 TB vs. $800 for 1 TB drive, and very little of my daily use of the computer being storage I/O bound, SSDs are probably the second last hardware (behind graphics card) I should be upgrading for performance. Considering money's tight for me, Apple going all-SSD on the laptops is the last nail in the coffin in me replacing my MacBook for at least another couple of years.

Re:Impressive (1)

1 TB SSD costs about $450, not $800. SanDisk's newest 960 GB SSD is launching at $430. That's a launch price, not sale price. No, you don't need that size. You just need 120 GB, maybe 240-256 GB, for OS and applications (desktop user).

If laptop size is a constraint, get a laptop that has a 2.5" drive and can take an mSATA SSD. Get a 64 GB. Should be $50, maybe less.

Your computer is I/O bound. Specifically, it is much slower at random access and booting. Heck, it may even take seconds to start spinning the disk after idling. This time does add up.

Re:Impressive (0)

> 1 TB SSD costs about $450, not $800.

Yeah and 1.5TB costs about $70, not $130.
The numbers are accurate for a year ago and the proportion is still about the same.
Don't lose site of the forest for the trees.

Re:Impressive (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794221)

Yeah, don't read ahead or anything.

I'll reiterate: pair a smaller SSD with a larger HDD. Find a laptop with an mSATA slot.

If you want to save $50 by using only HDDs, go ahead and do that. Just don't feign ignorance about the performance benefits or feel the need to judge the drives on a byte to byte basis, when you can clearly use a smaller SSD for the OS and applications.

Re:Impressive (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795257)

Or, you know, you could just let him use whatever he prefers, even when his preference isn't the same as yours.

Even if it's not your intention, you come off as a militant twit with a superiority complex. Try dialing that back a bit and maybe you won't be surrounded by flamewars all of the time.

And I can think of several reasons why he might not care about using SSD's:
1) Maybe he does need the larger capacity. Since you're not him and he didn't specify why he needs a terabyte of disk, you really don't know. I can state that you should not currently use SSD's in a NAS unless you have either a very specialized need or just more money than brains.
2) Not everyone gives a crap about startup time, since not everyone shuts their system down. For desktops, there's really no need, and for laptops, lots of people simply close the lid and put it to sleep rather than a full shutdown or even hibernation. An SSD isn't going to make the wake-up process go any faster. De-hibernating isn't much faster either, since it's only a single file being accessed.
3) SSD's aren't a cure-all for performance. I run SQL Server on my desktop system for development purposes. It takes a lot of time to start up fully, and most of that time is not I/O. You'd think a DBMS would improve from the addition of an SSD, but you'd often be wrong. It has a bigass memory footprint for a reason, and that reason is it loads a crapton of stuff into memory. Allocation is speedy, but checksumming and verifying what goes into that memory space is not.
4) And lastly, your comment about price is way off. The savings of using spinning disks is cut down to $50 only when you compare a large HDD with a small SSD. Otherwise, that number stays in the hundreds of dollars. Or, as you note, you can "pair a smaller SSD with a larger HDD" and not only lose out on the performance benefits of the SSD for a good portion of your data, but also spend nearly twice as much money. Fantastic idea! <borat>NOT.</borat>

Re:Impressive (1)

when tubes were the only option, they were much cheaper to use for the same number of circuits than building a factory to churn out affordable spinning platters.

the first spinning platter hard drives on the market came out to about $9,200 per MB.

you're an idiot.

Re:Impressive (0)

Your entire post lacks anything resembling logic, and you should save the name calling for yourself.

Re:Impressive (0)

perhaps you are unable to process logic? perhaps i did save the name calling for myself... i, myself, called you a name... that name was idiot. you are an idiot.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794879)

It's logical to assume, that back then, your mom was a lot cheaper. If hard drive prices hadn't come down, there would be a lot more assholes in the world. On a good note, Anand had better mods.

Re:Impressive (0)

Switching to SSD is like night and day even for everyday operations. Everything just responds faster and the experience is much snappier. High capacity SSD are expensive but I just put my videos on an external drive, or use a NAS, which is inconvenient, but allows my everyday productivity to be much higher. I would never build a computer or have a laptop without the OS on an SSD.

Re:Impressive (0)

I don't doubt it makes many things much snappier, but my work is in writing DSP software and I'm pretty sure the money would be better spent on CPU and RAM (or saved, given my current tight finances). It does seem like Apple's started having their software hit up storage for frivolous reasons, relying on people having SSDs, but then XCode sometimes manages to use up a couple of cores just for text editing so it could be less about SSDs and more about generally dumb software designs.

I used to use an external hard drive years ago and I hated traveling with it, and just from the times when I have a phone or tablet attached to my laptop I know I don't want to have that be an every day thing (or worse, have an external drive and a phone or tablet). Hopefully SSD prices keep dropping, and after these replies I noticed Apple's upgrade price is about a $150-200 premium which I can only hope will drop, too. Until then I'm going to hold off on upgrading as long as possible, and if I have to upgrade I'm going to look into the option of connecting to a desktop remotely; if my laptop isn't self-contained, at least if I go with a desktop I should get more bang for the buck and I can either use my laptop or tablet+keyboard (which I already own for work) to log in when I'm not at home or want to move around more.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794179)

"just for text editing".... you do realize that modern text editors are more than the punchcard interfaces you seem to be clinging to, no?

if i have a spare core that can be utilized to constantly re-parse my code as i make changes, and color code it on the screen and alert me of any syntax errors, SPIN IT UP. make things easier. i certainly don't want my cursor to stall out as the parser got stuck trying to make sense of an incomplete code block... that would be the risk of doing it all in a single process on a single core. they are parallel tasks.

what work could possibly be needed in DSP? why would anyone promote DSP programming? it's been done. we can process video from mars. problem solved. now work on actually doing something with that "signal".

you're an idiot.

Re: Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794777)

If you think all the work in DSP is done, you sir are the idiot.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47796253)

Are the same "you're an idiot" who wrote the terrible attempt at a comparison with tubes? If not, you two should hang out. You'd either love each other, or love calling each other idiots ad infinitum.

I like that you manage to think the entire field of DSP is done. Let me give you a clue: your opinion of your intelligence is much greater than your actual knowledge.

Re:Impressive (1)

ericloewe (2129490) | about a month ago | (#47794813)

Spoken like someone who has never witnessed an SSD at work.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795147)

I've seen an SSD at work. In fact, I have an SSD sitting in my desk drawer at work - I see it quite frequently.

Re:Impressive (1)

Maxo-Texas (864189) | about a month ago | (#47795335)

You might consider a 128gb or 256gb SSD (cheap) paired with an HD.

My main system and all programs take up less than 128gb -- it's my data that takes up TB.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47796351)

I would do that if I was using a desktop. I'm not sure if an SSD plus a networked drive would work that well performance-wise, and even if it did there's still the issue of traveling: I travel light and pack tight, and back when I brought an external drive it was always a hassle and a little extra stress since I'd be worried about damaging it.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794521)

the fuck is a "tube transistor"? Is that what morons call a vacuum tube?

Re:Impressive (0)

I do not understand. Why are you trolling us?

Re:Impressive (0)

Your HDD computer is significantly slower at random access. Orders of magnitude slower. SSDs are cheaper than ever. You can easily find 120 GB for $50, put OS and applications on it, and use your HDD for bulk storage.

I hope this helped you to understand.

Re:Impressive (2, Interesting)

Barny (103770) | about a month ago | (#47794279)

My PC is a gaming PC, OS and applications is about 1.1 TB of storage on it.

Also, here, $50 will not get you an SSD. For around $100 I can get a 80GB one, but anything over 100GB quickly rise to hundreds of dollars+.

Re:Impressive (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794315)

Re:Impressive (1)

nanoflower (1077145) | about a month ago | (#47794349)

I think you missed the important part of what the previous poster said. "Here" which presumably means he is not in the USA. If he did try and order a SSD from Amazon chances are that between shipping charges, import taxes and any VAT the price could easily double or more. Otherwise I doubt he would have made the statement.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have cheap hardware readily available.

Re:Impressive (1)

eulernet (1132389) | about a month ago | (#47794623)

For $113, you can get a Seagate 2 TB Solid State Hybrid Drive:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/... [bhphotovideo.com]

It contains 8GB of SSD and the remaining is normal storage.
8GB should be enough for the boot of your OS.

Re:Impressive (2)

Creepy (93888) | about a month ago | (#47795975)

Except these drives use the SSD as cache, or at least mine does. In other words, you don't actually install anything on the 8GB, the drive decides what should be there by demand. In my experience, it does speed up most disk operations,but compared to a dedicated solid state drive it is still much slower. Personally, I can live with the slower speed with 2TB solid state drives (non-hybrid) ranging from $2000-7000 right now, at least for any with a reputable brand name. I've seen 1TB drives for about $500 as well, but my entire build was about $760 and even the 1TB drive would have pushed my build well over $1100.

Re:Impressive (1)

ericloewe (2129490) | about a month ago | (#47794817)

I don't know where you live, but any civilized country has something like the Crucial MX100 128GB available for some 80ish bucks or less.

Re:Impressive (1)

kamapuaa (555446) | about 2 months ago | (#47794167)

GP meant "laudable" in the sense of "undertaken under the influence of laudanum."

Re:Impressive (1)

Bartles (1198017) | about a month ago | (#47795345)

It's 2014. Your computer should not have any moving parts.

Re:Impressive (1)

LordLimecat (1103839) | about a month ago | (#47796479)

Fans are so retro. My laptop uses ionized air currents for cooling.

It occasionally overheats and the induced currents have wreaked havoc with my data, but there are no moving parts!

Re:Impressive (4, Insightful)

wolrahnaes (632574) | about a month ago | (#47795551)

Because SSDs are literally the best thing you can do for your computer's performance in desktop applications. Most of the time you're nowhere close to CPU limits and these days standard RAM levels are finally high enough that only the cheapest shitboxes hit swap in normal browsing/chatting/office type tasks. Everything is waiting on the slow old hard drive. Make that an order of magnitude faster and it shouldn't be a surprise that you can rejuvenate even an old computer.

My work laptop is a Dell Vostro from 2010 with a sub-2GHz Core 2 Duo processor. It runs circles around most of my customers' computers in day-to-day stuff even when they have Core i-series processors solely because it has enough RAM (8GB) and more importantly a SSD. It's not even a great SSD, just a cheap Kingston, but it makes a huge difference.

The correct answer for any new computer is a reasonable sized SSD for the OS and applications combined with a regular hard disk for larger stuff like media collections where random access time isn't as important. Only gamers really need to compromise, with so many games these days exceeding 10GB it's still too expensive for a lot of us to have our entire game collections on SSD, but in that case it's still not hard to just install whatever you play most to the SSD and put older/less commonly played titles on the HD.

Re:Impressive (1)

wolrahnaes (632574) | about a month ago | (#47795561)

Since slashdot stupidly still doesn't allow edits, here's the mandatory car analogy:

SSDs are like snow tires in Colorado. Sure you can get along without them but you're losing a lot by doing so.

I championed that tech LONG before him (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794887)

In both hardware & software @ NTCompatible.com since 1997: FACT -> http://www.ntcompatible.com/ra... [ntcompatible.com] ( + long BEFORE that 2001 post as well, as far back as 1996 in fact, see next "proof thereof"):

Windows NT Magazine (now Windows IT Pro) April 1997 "BACK OFFICE PERFORMANCE" issue, page 61

(&, for work done for EEC Systems/SuperSpeed.com on PAID CONTRACT (writing portions of their SuperCache program increasing its performance by up to 40% via my work) albeit, for their SuperDisk & HOW TO APPLY IT, took them to a finalist position @ MS Tech Ed, two years in a row 2000-2002, in its HARDEST CATEGORY: SQLServer Performance Enhancement).

APK

P.S.=> As far back as 1997, I was doing what the "mainstream masses" have been only recently up to, using memory based devices vs. disks for less latency +f aster seek/access (both in software AND in hardware 1999 onwards via a CENATEK "RocketDrive" 2gb PC-133 SDRAM PCI 2.2 bus ramdrive board & more recently a Gigabyte IRAM 4gb DDR-2 SATA I/II bus ramdrive board too).

I use them as follows for home systems:

Since 1992 or so, 1st using separate HDDs (slower seek/access by FAR) & then using software ramdisks per the list below (on a MS-DDK based one I wrote in fact, on how I apply them):

Then applying Software-Based Ramdrives to database work with EEC Systems/SuperSpeed.com on paid contract (which did me VERY WELL @ both Windows IT Pro magazine in reviews, & also MS TechEd 2000-2002 in its hardest category: SQLServer Performance Enhancement & SuperSpeed.com too - since I improved their wares efficacy by up to 40% via programmatic control & tuning programs for them) - which, only the past few years now it seems, OTHERS are finally "latching onto" for performance purposes in database work in industrial environs! The EEC/SuperSpeed.com unit had 1 great thing going for it - mirroring back to HDD to save state of data!)

I move the following off my wd Velociraptor SATA II 10,000 rpm 16mb buffered harddisks that are driven off a Promise Ex-8350 128mb ECC ram caching raid sata 1/2 controller (which defers/delays writes via said cache, & also lessens physical head movement on disks & this is where I am going to make it even faster via lessening its workloads, read on & reduces fragmentation as well in the same stroke - "bonus") onto my 4gb DDR2 Gigabyte IRAM PCIExpress ramdisk card 2006-present (& before it, a CENATEK "RocketDrive" 4gb PC-133 SDRAM based one on PCI 2.2 bus circa 2002-2006):

A.) Pagefile.sys (partition #1 1gb size, rest is on 3gb partition next - this I didn't do on software ramdrives though)
B.) OS & App level logging (EventLogs + App Logging)
C.) WebBrowser caches, histories, sessions & browsers too
D.) Print Spooling
E.) %Temp% ops (OS & user level temp ops environmental variable values alterations)
F.) %Tmp% ops (OS & user level temp ops environmental variable values alterations)
G.) %Comspec% (command interpreter location, cmd.exe in this case, & in DOS/Win9x years before, command.com also)
H.) Lastly - I also place my custom hosts file onto it, via redirecting where it's referenced by the OS, here in the registry (for performance AND security):

HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters

(Specifically altering the "DataBasePath" parameter there which also acts more-or-less, like a *NIX shadow password system also!)

* All of which lessen the amount of work my "main" OS & programs slower mechanical hard disks have to do, "speeding them up" by lessening their workload, fragmentation, and speeding up access/seek latency for the things in the list above too.

HDD's concentrate on program &/or data fetches that are still hdd bound (& not kernelmode diskcaching subsystem cached in 4gb of DDR3 system ram here either yet) done on a media that has no heads to move, & thus, more mechanical latency + slower seek/access as you get on hard disks + reduced filesystem fragmentations due to that all, also & it works!

... apk

Re: I championed that tech LONG before him (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795481)

Lighten up, francis

Just told the truth with backing proof... apk (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795909)

You're giving credit to a techie for Pete's sake that never even programmed around this environs (certainly not before I did & years before anyone HEARD of Anand La Shimpi even).

APK

P.S.=> Fact: I was @ the tech, YEARS before his website even existed & making trade shows for it (and doing well) + trade journals articles as well, & in both hardware AND software editions of ramdisks/ramdrives/ssd's, as well as programming them myself - has he? I *severely* doubt it - especially on ALL LEVELS CONCERNED as I was... apk

Really hope the spirit lives on (5, Informative)

gman003 (1693318) | about 2 months ago | (#47793887)

AnandTech is pretty much the only tech site I trust implicitly anymore. They don't do bullshit stories, they don't rush things out just because everyone else is, and they aren't afraid to criticize their own sponsor's products. More to the point, they know their stuff, and they have brought a lot more science to testing. They don't even test cases with actual computers in them anymore, they use strictly-controlled thermal loads and lab-grade probes because it wasn't repeatable enough. Hopefully Anand's spirit of accurate, thorough reporting will live on at Anandtech for years to come, because if they fail I don't know of anyone that could replace them.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (4, Funny)

toms hardware was never the same after he invented myspace

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

Frankie70 (803801) | about a month ago | (#47795367)

I don't get the joke.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (0)

[H]ardOCP is pretty good, but mainly the power supply reviews. I'm still not ready to trust them after the AMD fiasco, coverup, & halfhearted non-apology.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

AMD fiasco? Could you elaborate?

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (-1)

AnandTech was and is still shills for Intel and Nvidia through out its history. Just shameful untruthful bentmark after bentmark. I would never trust an astroturfing site like AnandTech, they are liars and cons.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794209)

Anonymous Coward was and is still shills for shill accusations through out its history. Just shameful untruthful bentshill after bentshill. I would never trust an astroturfing anonymous coward like Anonymous Coward

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

zixxt (1547061) | about a month ago | (#47795681)

Amen to that!

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

Creepy (93888) | about a month ago | (#47796085)

Not sure what specific issue you have, but usually when I look at comparable sites like Tom's Hardware, they agree with each other. And it isn't like AMD/ATI was much better - they were completely in Microsoft's pocket for years going by driver support, as in they didn't support OpenGL extensions for years forcing the OpenGL group to make more and more frequent releases. I worked on a cross platform graphics engine until about OpenGL 3 and ATI's support was bleak at best.

As for Intel vs AMD, Intel has had the better processors for years at the high end. If you want to go mid-tier or especially low end, yeah AMD is a good choice. When I priced out mid-tier AMD vs Intel I still went with Intel based on performance comparisons given by multiple sites including AnandTech and Tom's Hardware. In no case did AMD have a better product in the price I was looking at ($150-170), but they did have a Intel outperforming product in the price range about $20-40 cheaper. Their SoCs are also extremely good if you are really cheap. I have a friend that built a nice A10 box a few years ago.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (2)

LordLimecat (1103839) | about a month ago | (#47796491)

From AnandTech, 2001:
AMD's Athlon XP: Great performance, poor marketing [anandtech.com]

Totally shilling, right? Heres the sad truth: Since the Core 2 Duo hit in ~2006, AMD has been getting its rear handed to it. It had a small advantage in memory benchmarks for several years after that due to its integrated memory controller, but after Intel jumped on board with those, the only reasons youd buy AMD these days are core count or cost (you get a lot more CPU features at the low end with AMD).

Performance-wise, and often even on a budget, Intel is simply better. You dont have to like it (and I dont, because Intel's customer service sucks while AMDs is great), but its the reality.

accurate, thorough reporting? (4, Interesting)

Ecuador (740021) | about a month ago | (#47794761)

Ok, I guess, as long as it is not an Apple product. If it is, then all that is thrown out of the window and the product is deemed "great" and worth the extra cost. This is most obvious in the smartphone sections. For example you can read the "android user on an iPhone 5S" article, and he lists all those important limitations of iOS that would definitely turn any Android user away, but says they are "temporary" and inexplicably concludes that iOS is not a worse experience. Similarly, supposedly they would test all important smartphone releases, however they review each iphone multiple times (seriously, check it out), then some popular Androids and that's it. They missed things like the N9, which was probably the best phone when it came out (as I had an iPhone, an Android and a N9 at the time), and don't try anything that could appear too price competitive to Apple devices (like Xiaomi). The Mac/Macbook etc reviews are similarly biased, the site seems to be in awe of Apple and everything they make. As an owner of a Mac Pro, a Mac Mini, 3 iPhones (all company provided) and the experience with them and all Apple products in our company, I am not similarly awed (I could write long stories here).
So, yeah, Anandtech, while it is not as good as it used to be, it is probably still (one of) the best (although for PSUs and an alternative take on GPUs you should look at HardOCP), but be wary of the Apple bias.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

haruchai (17472) | about a month ago | (#47795095)

I've mostly been reading Tweaktown, with AnandTech & HotHardware as fallbacks for the past few years.

Re:Really hope the spirit lives on (1)

jon3k (691256) | about a month ago | (#47795295)

Absolutely agree and I assume he wouldn't have left unless he felt comfortable that they would continue that tradition. It really comes down to one word, trust. I genuinely trust everything I read on Anandtech.

Maybe now... (-1)

they'll go back to being a technical site again.

Re:Maybe now... (0)

nah.. clickbait about social issues draws more clicks.

Re:Maybe now... (0)

Please, find a social justice article here: http://www.anandtech.com/

Re:Maybe now... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795299)

nah.. clickbait comment about non-existant clickbait about social (justice*) issues. (Who said it was about justice? me thinks you have an agenda!)

Slightly pro-Intel reviews (-1)

I personally think Anandtech does overtly good reviews of Intel CPUs. I think they never gave AMD a fair shot. Having said that I think it's one of the best resources for computer hardware reviews in addition to tomshardware, overclock.net.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (4, Insightful)

MildlyTangy (3408549) | about 2 months ago | (#47793997)

AMD processors are just simply slower and their fastest can *barely* keep up with an i5 . I know the truth hurts, but there you have it.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (1)

Jesus_666 (702802) | about a month ago | (#47794927)

It's all about target demographics. The last few times I've built desktop PCs I've been on a budget and that's where AMD becomes really interesting. AMD CPUs are usually good enough (especially in gaming rigs where desktop CPU performace has become essentially irrelevant years ago) and can be faster than Intels at the same price point - not because AMD is better but because Intel is more expensive, especially once you factor in that Intel mainboards also tend to have higher prices.

Sure, Intel CPUs are better. But if you don't do heavily CPU-intensive tasks (ie. if you use your computer for generic consumer-type stuff) AMD's ones are adequate and cheap. Intel is great in workstations but most people don't need a workstation. That's why AMD is still alive. It's pretty much the VHS of x86/amd64.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795009)

Except most people buy laptops where performance/watt matters, and Intel really wins here as well. Haswell stomps just about everything else in terms of power drain.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (1)

Jesus_666 (702802) | about a month ago | (#47795087)

That's true. To be honest, my laptop runs on Intel, too. That's a market semgnet Intel is very good at. Still, budget desktop exists and I hope they will continue to keep AMD afloat because I really don't want to see what happens when Intel has x86/amd64 for itself. (Of course Intel probably doesn't want to see that, either; monopolies have this pesky habit of falling under antitrust regulations...)

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (1)

GrumpySteen (1250194) | about a month ago | (#47794969)

While that might be the case today, the person you're responding to is talking about the past 17.5 years. Intel hasn't always had the fastest processors during that time.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (1)

zixxt (1547061) | about a month ago | (#47795689)

Spoken like the brainwashed Intel fanboi you are.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (1)

LordLimecat (1103839) | about a month ago | (#47796505)

Parent is clueless, if you google "Anandtech Athlon performance" you'll see several articles from 2001+ (you know, the years where AMD was competitive) that appear to be praising AMD.

If a site were telling you that AMD was a good buy for a general purpose computer-- unless they were talking about the A-series-- theyd be a pretty awful source.

Re: Slightly pro-Intel reviews (4, Informative)

wolrahnaes (632574) | about 2 months ago | (#47794071)

Uh......have you not noticed that AT has a full sponsored AMD section? They literally give AMD news special placement. The fact is, and I say this as someone whose only Intel processor is in his laptop, AMD performance sucks.

They're competitive usually on price to performance, but even the absolute top end 200+ watt 5GHz turbo AMD processor gets matched by mid-range i5s and stomped by i7s.

Re: Slightly pro-Intel reviews (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795093)

Try it in Linux, go to phoronix.com and look at the AMD and Intel benchmarks on Linux. Since most Linux apps are not compiled with the sabotaged Intel compiler like windows, the AMD cpu is much more competitive.

Re: Slightly pro-Intel reviews (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795187)

Call me when Linux arrives on the Desktop... been waiting 20 years ;)

Re: Slightly pro-Intel reviews (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795599)

AMD has lost their way. The bobcat era of CPUs is crap. Pretending that people only use integer units is crap.

AMD needs to make real 6 core CPUs again and they need to do something about the insane power draw. They can get away with mediocre performance for a time if they got power consumption down. That is what will really kill them. At this point, their mobile GPUs have decent video and horrible CPU performance. If you're not able to use the video (like in *BSD) then it's a total waste of money. I've seen E series chips benchmark slower than Pentium D chips!

They need to throw some money at a good chip designer and let him work. A miracle has to happen and they're not going to get it with process improvements because they can't ever compete with intel on that.

Re:Slightly pro-Intel reviews (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795159)

They cover AMD more than anyone and they're very much unbiased. I dunno what more you want out of them. The problem isn't that they're not giving AMD a fair shot, it's that AMD *sucks hard* in this day and age.

A $140 53W dual core i3 4330 is significantly faster than a $170 95W quad core A10-7850K in all benchmarks. Including the multithreaded ones despite the AMD CPU having twice as many cores. In single threaded stuff, there's just no contest. And it does it with almost half the power too.

More expensive, uses more power, and slower. Thus, bad performance/$ and performance/watt ratios too. I'd definitely buy AMD if they were a good value but right now they're not, no matter which way you look at it!

Thanks Anand! (0)

I liked Anandtech because they never sold out, or at least not as hard as, the other tech sites. You always felt there were real people doing their job and not just repeating talking points some company gave them. Reading the articles at Anandtech felt like reading a friend's webpage.

I hope the site made Anand a ton of money and he can live comfortably as he pursues new things.

Unpopular Sentiment (0)

I didn't like Anandtech, nor Tom's nor hardly any of the other "enthusiast" sites because the people running them were amateurs. Every time I went to one of those websites it felt like a place where the blind were leading the blind. They simply didn't know what they didn't know. It was understandable - if you had the knowledge required to really understand the technology you wouldn't be writing reviews for a website, you'd be making 10x more money doing actual engineering and product development.

I guess part of the problem was that I was used to the early days of the net where people writing in comp.arch or Risks Digest were the actual engineers working on the systems they were talking about. Still, sites like Anandtech seemed to suck up resources that might have gone to making real expert knowledge and opinions accessible to a broader audience rather than putting amateurs on a pedestal.

Great Site But Hated the OCZ SSD Recommendations (3, Interesting)

JakFrost (139885) | about 2 months ago | (#47794057)

Read the site since the beginning every time I needed an upgrade for components ever since Tom's Hardware sold out to its sponsors.

Anand and his writers were great and they changed the way that computer reviews were done online versus in magazine print in PC Magazine or Boot / Maximum PC.

His recommendation of OCZ products at every revision of the Vertex line of products deserves a black eye on his legacy though since the reports of failures of every Vertex line 1 through 4 were coming out consistently just a few months after release on sites like Newegg, HardOCZ, ExtremeSystems, Amazon, Overclokers, etc. Anand keep awarding Editors Choices to OCZ regardless of the volumes of failures.

He admonished Intel for their firmware bugs correctly but then white washed OCZ failures but back tracked and started mentioning their failures after it became common knowledge in the hardware circles.

Still he leaves a legacy for legitimate and notable online journalism that changed online reviews and reporting by legitimizing it and receiving sponsorship from manufacturers.

Re:Great Site But Hated the OCZ SSD Recommendation (2)

JakFrost (139885) | about a month ago | (#47794479)

Correction, HardOCP instead of HardOCZ, caught my own error since I was posting about OCZ Vertex product failures.

Also, I am guessing that Anand's "retirement" is more like "cashing-in" on the site. Good time to make money and run!

Commodity hardware reviews are dying out since they are getting less relevant to people. My machine is 5-years old and still going strong after 2-SDD upgrades and 3-video card upgrades. No need to replace the whole thing and upgrade anymore since my computer is running idle the vast majority of time.

SSDs were the last great upgrade for computers ever since the whole CPU and RAM and Video Card wars were decided and settled.

Next upgrade will most likely be when 4K displays become common place with the next Windows 9 OS that scales things correctly for them and video hardware that can support it well without performance issues. That'll be another 2-years or so and then I'll look at replacing my computer's insides since it looks like ATX cases and 750W power supplies are here to stay and quite enough.

Re:Great Site But Hated the OCZ SSD Recommendation (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795337)

> Good time to make money and run!

Agreed! The seventeen year mark is the time honored departure point of every fly-by-night confidence man!

Re:Great Site But Hated the OCZ SSD Recommendation (3, Informative)

AbRASiON (589899) | about a month ago | (#47795083)

Your memory must be shabby.
He recommended OCZ SSD's when they were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the competition. They were the first non premium priced SSD with intel like performance and no huge latency spikes when writing small files.

Yeah look a lot of them failed, I got burnt by many of them - but at the time the failure rate issue wasn't widespread. They were the Celeron 300a of SSD's and so he rightfully pushed them.

Re:Great Site But Hated the OCZ SSD Recommendation (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795327)

I have an OCZ Vertex LE, that was purchased and installed in my laptop shortly after they were recommended on Anandtech. Aside from super-shitty v1.0 firmware that would sometimes fail to write what you asked, I've *never* had any issue with it in the twenty-seven-thousand+ hours it's been running. In fact, it's the same drive that's the system drive in the machine that I'm typing this comment from.

(This drive was the drive that taught me to *always* upgrade the firmware in an SSD. There was a firmware upgrade available from the moment that I had the drive in my hands. At the time, I really wished that I had applied it.)

Wow (3, Interesting)

50000BTU_barbecue (588132) | about 2 months ago | (#47794123)

I guess running tech sites ages you because he looks 50.

Re:Wow (2)

edibobb (113989) | about 2 months ago | (#47794141)

Running a tech site for 17 years ages you.

Re:Wow (1)

50000BTU_barbecue (588132) | about 2 months ago | (#47794155)

Yeah, it should age you 17 years. He doesn't look like any 32 year-olds I know.

Re:Wow (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795001)

Or even 35 year olds :^)

Re:Wow (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795019)

Being a shitskin ages you.

Re: Wow (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795183)

The only thing that's shitty around here is your racism, you filthy cretin.

Remember his personal video reviews? (5, Interesting)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47794175)

Back in the 90's when places like SharkyExtreme.com, jc-news.com, HardOCP.com and Tomshardware.com were "it", Anand Lai made a name for himself for his more than truthful video reviews. It was a new take on things with this guy Anand, sometimes sitting on a rock outside, chatting about computers.

I still trust much of the content on his site, but worry it'll go the way of sharkyextreme now. Perhaps legitreviews or some other can fill that void without Anand around.

Thank you for helping millions of us make good choices over the years Anand, I wish you the best!

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794203)

Hey old man, go back to your tucows mirrors and your cirrus logic video cards..

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (2)

kolbe (320366) | about a month ago | (#47794241)

Pfft... Cirrus Logics were horrible! Everyone who was anyone bought Diamond S3 VLB cards. That is, until the Matrox Mystique came out on PCI!

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794275)

Yeah I had a mystique 220 with the rainbow runner video capture addon. The drivers/software was very buggy but did the job I guess.

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794281)

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794455)

What the hell happened to SharkyExtreme.com? I haven't visited that place in years - bluesnews too.

Maybe that was the problem.

Re:Remember his personal video reviews? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794805)

"bluesnews"

Bluesnews is still up and I still visit the place, because the rest of the internet is a giant echochamber of crap mostly with few exceptions.

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794261)

Glad that Mac fanboi is finally going away!

Repay? DF? (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47794779)

If anything I owe him for all the help I've received over the years.

Yep. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795285)

> You enabled me to get the education of a lifetime and I will never be able to repay you for that.

WARNING: I don't speak for anyone, but I use a plural form ("us") instead of singular ("me") just for rhetorical reasons...

---

We can never repay what we receive. Never. It's not that many, many things come for free -- surely they come.

But we want to repay those who gave us free things, and yet we can't.

The opportunities seldom arise to do it, we often lose them, only to regret later no repaying a father or a mother, or even society at large for the things which were put in our plates. Of course, in many places, not everyone is so lucky. It only makes us feel even worse for not being able to properly repay or even thank, sometimes. (*)

But that's not the worse: we sometimes cannot repay or ask forgiveness to those we hurt or for the errors we make. This is the real problem.

I don't know the answer or how to solve it. But I see other people dealing well with these problems, so I guess I'll just imitate them for now.

(*) This is what makes me anger when I hear someone saying there's no free lunch. Of course, there is! At least, let us acknowledge what is given without anything asked in return. Or, like my parents would say, "we just want you to be happy and follow what is Right, that's pay enough for us."

BTW, thanks, Anand.

Do Not Expose Anand to Direct Sunlight (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a month ago | (#47795685)

That kid worked so hard,I don't think he's been out of his basement in nearly 18 years!

Thanks for all the fish (1)

maestroX (1061960) | about a month ago | (#47796201)

just had this inner light moment .. (__)_(._.)__(_^_)_m(__)m m(_ _)m